Most of the time we do not pay attention to the palate, it is not common for it to suffer problems, but when it does it usually causes concern because it is quite visible to those who suffer from it and, in addition, it can cause discomfort during feeding or simply by contact with the tongue . A variety of diseases can cause the palate to turn yellow or present yellowish lesions, from a diet rich in beta-carotene to more complicated lesions.
If you want to know in detail what the causes of yellow palate are , as well as the possible medical and natural treatments, then continue reading this FastlyHealarticle.
Table of Contents
Yellow palate: causes
There are different reasons why the palate can turn yellow, some very simple and others more complex, including:
It is common for bulimia or anorexia nervosa to appear, among other lesions, a yellowing of the palate.
Sometimes a lesion that seemed minimal can become infected and contain pus , known as an abscess. This is yellowish in color and, although it is rare, it can be located on the palate.
They are small yellowish granules that correspond to sebaceous glands. It is common to find them on the lips or cheeks and, much rarer, on the palate, but it is possible.
This is extremely rare, it is a benign tumor of fat cells and therefore yellowish in color. It can be located in different areas of the skin and even the face, the palate is a very atypical place of presentation.
The carotenemia is an accumulation of a yellowish substance in the skin and mucous membranes, called carotene. It is more common in children than in adults. Generally, it occurs because the diet is rich in foods that contain beta-carotene , such as: carrots, oranges, tangerines, apricots, mango, papaya, melon, sweet potato, green leafy vegetables, among others. It can also be a metabolic problem or by the ingestion of supplements with vitamin A.
Sometimes poor liver function can cause mucous membranes to turn yellow, which is medically known as jaundice . If it also affects the skin, it is because the problem is even greater.
Altered bile duct
It is the outlet for bile from the liver to the digestive system. If there are blockages or stone overload , bile builds up. This does not degrade and ends up giving a yellow color to the palate, the mucous membranes of the mouth, the eyes and even the skin.
They can also cause this particular tone on the palate. Inflammation, stone problems and even tumor pathology can cause problems of this type.
Ulcer on the palate
An ulcer-type lesion may remain on the palate from a burn from very hot food or drink, prosthetic lesions, blisters that have broken, cavities, radio or chemotherapy, etc. When it heals, it will be covered with a yellowish tissue.
Some diseases that have to do with a malfunction of the body’s defenses can present with blisters that, when breaking, are covered with a yellowish material. This is the case of pemphigus, pemphigoid, lupus.
Some drugs can cause changes in the color of the mucosa of the mouth, including the palate. This is the case of antimalarials (such as chloroquine and amodioquine) that make it become more yellowish or brownish-yellowish, quinacrine (to eliminate giardiasis parasites), or some antiretrovirals used in the treatment of HIV can make it rather brownish.
Yellow palate: medical treatment
The most important thing when receiving medical treatment is to achieve a correct diagnosis, since in this way you avoid wasting time and find the right solution.
To achieve this, your doctor will first ask you a series of questions in order to know if in addition to that yellow color on the palate, you notice any other type of symptoms, if something happened before the color change, if you have done any treatment Previous, if you smoke, drink alcohol, how is your diet. Anyway, the information you can provide will be very useful.
Then, they will check your mouth to identify if there are injuries or something else that attracts attention. You can continue with an exploration of the rest of your body.
Depending on the case, he will request other studies (such as abdominal analysis or ultrasound, for example) and the treatment will depend on the analysis of all these data:
- If it were medications or something in your diet, you can try to suppress that cause, sometimes it takes a while to get back to normal color.
- The mouth sores that heal leaving produce a yellowish plaque on them must be maintained : avoiding irritants, controlling prostheses and mouth with dental condition, do not use mouthwashes, creams or substances not recommended by your doctor / a.
- If the problem is at the digestive level, the most important thing is food . Both the liver and the bile duct and pancreas are overloaded with toxic foods high in fat, gluten, dairy, meats and ultra-processed. It is also very important not to consume alcohol or tobacco.
- Also, if the cause is an eating disorder, you have to note that your body is already suffering the consequences, so seeking professional help is very important.
- If there is any associated discomfort such as pain or burning, the professional may indicate an analgesic while they find the cause of your problem.
- It is important to perform good oral hygiene regularly, as well as a dental consultation to know what conditions you are in.
- If there is any injury, it can be biopsied to find out its nature and thus begin the appropriate treatment.
Natural remedies for yellow palate
There are different natural measures that you can take to try to improve the yellow color of the palate:
- If you have lesions, you can resort to gargling with some medicinal plants such as: horsetail ( Equisetum arvense ), wormwood (Artemisia absinthium , plantain ( Plantago) or marshmallow ( Althaea officinalis ), chamomile ( Chamaemelum nobile) . In addition, you can drink infusions of the latter.
- You can help your body cleanse the liver and bile ducts through detoxification . There are different ways to do it, what they all have in common is that your diet should be based on raw fruits and vegetables, sprouts, nuts. Some take a fruit as the center, others go through a process between apples and olive oil. A more than important key is to put aside foods and drinks that are difficult to digest and metabolize and, therefore, leave a lot of waste that ends up accumulating in the body. These practices should always be accompanied by a kidney cleansing, which is done through teas that stimulate urine (diuretics).
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Yellow palate: causes and treatments , we recommend that you enter our Teeth and mouth category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.