Dyspnea or shortness of breath are the terms related to this uncomfortable and overwhelming sensation where there is difficulty breathing normally. There are several causes that can cause the appearance of this sensation when speaking, many of them related to the respiratory system and others inherent to the cardiac system.
The causes related to shortness of breath when speaking are asthma, bronchitis or anxiety, however, when this happens and it is essential to see a doctor to rule out that it is a serious problem to treat. In this FastlyHealarticle we will talk about shortness of breath when speaking: causes , and we will also tell you what to do when this uncomfortable feeling happens to you.
Shortness of breath when speaking: common causes
Here are some of the most common causes of shortness of breath when speaking :
- Physical Activity : You are likely short of breath when talking because you have been doing high-impact physical activity that you are not used to. This usually happens in sedentary people and those with overweight problems.
- Heart problems : there are heart-related diseases that manifest as shortness of breath when talking. Many of these are heart failure , pericarditis, angina pectoris, or cardiac arrhythmias. Both manifest with shortness of breath when exerting or not and refer to it as a feeling of suffocation or suffocation.
- Respiratory problems : problems with the respiratory system include phlegm and cough, however, there are other conditions associated with breathing that can cause a choking sensation when performing common activities such as, for example, speaking. This occurs with diseases such as asthma, pneumonia, bronchitis, lung edema and pneumothorax. This sensation is related to the phlegm that accumulates in the airways,
- Obstruction : there is a sudden situation in which there may be shortness of breath when speaking, this can occur when there is an obstruction of the airways , and it can happen when eating or swallowing a foreign body.
- Allergy : this is another common cause in which shortness of breath can occur when speaking, it occurs in the presence of an allergic reaction that generates a normal physiological mechanism called glottis edema , there may also be edema on the tongue. This can be the product of the ingestion of some medicine or some food to which it is sensitive and that it is unknown or after the bite of an insect generating what is known as anaphylactic shock.
Shortness of breath when speaking: causes
Beyond those that we have already exposed, there are other possible causes that cause shortness of breath when speaking. Among these, two of the most common are:
- Anxiety : it is another probable reason in which there may be shortness of breath when speaking, remember that this is a frequent emotional problem and is also related to panic disorders. Do you feel something stuck in your throat ? Well this could be the cause.
- Obesity : people who are overweight may experience repeated shortness of breath when speaking because the weight decreases the lung’s ability to expand normally during the entry of air.
Other causes are associated such as:
- Hyperventilation due to unknown cause.
- Irritating environmental agent.
What causes shortness of breath when speaking
In addition to shortness of breath when speaking, there are other important symptoms to take into account to see a doctor immediately :
- Stiffness in the chest.
- Wheezing when breathing
- Need for air.
- Shaking chills.
- Chest pain when taking deep breaths.
- Difficulty performing normal activities.
- Prolonged cough
- Greenish, yellowish or reddish expectoration.
- Difficulty lying down.
- Difficulty walking and / or climbing stairs.
- Swollen legs
- Bluish skin and nails.
- Rapid heart beat
- Coldness on the skin
How to relieve shortness of breath when speaking
Faced with shortness of breath when speaking, it is advisable to follow the following tips to alleviate this symptom:
- Stay calm and don’t panic.
- If the choking sensation persists, sit down and raise your chest.
- If the feeling of suffocation was after doing physical activity, rest and practice regularly to improve the sedentary condition, it will also considerably reduce the overweight in conjunction with a modification in the daily diet.
- In the case of cardiac and respiratory problems, follow the specialist’s instructions, follow the treatment as indicated, generally it will seek to free the respiratory tract so that the air can circulate freely, in severe cases respiratory physiotherapy is necessary.
- In case of being a foreign body in the respiratory tract, allergic reaction go immediately to the emergency room.
- If you suffer from anxiety, try using natural remedies to calm this condition. If this is not possible, the doctor will indicate the necessary pharmacological treatment.
The breathlessness is subjective , unfortunately can not be measured but in the medical field there are scales that value depending on the conditions in activities such as talking to. Sometimes the doctor indicates a spirometry to determine lung capacity in case the shortness of breath persists for much longer.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Shortness of breath when speaking: causes , we recommend that you enter our Lung and respiratory tract category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.