Women undergo breast changes from childhood, through puberty to adulthood and reproductive age, and even during menopause. Each of these stages is subject to physical and hormonal changes that determine the appearance of the breasts.
These changes are cause for concern and frequent medical consultation. Although they do generally not constitute a health problem, they can reveal the suffering of disease in some cases. In the following FastlyHealarticle, we detail the question “why my breasts have shrunk” and in which a specialist should check patients this change in size.
Why does breast size decrease
Many causes can cause the breasts to shrink and, among them, we find those that we list below:
- Weight loss: Weight loss decreases body fat, affecting breast size. The breasts are made up of fatty tissue, hence the decrease in volume.
- Exercise: by increasing physical activity, body fat is quickly reduced, especially in the breast area.
- Sex: During sexual practice, the breasts can inflate due to increased heart rate and pressure. After this moment has passed, the breasts are reduced, thus returning to their standard size.
- Hormonal disorders: Estrogen deficiency affects breast growth, a common cause of breast decrease in size.
- Pregnancy: during pregnancy, the breasts grow to prepare breast milk. This leads to increased volume in the breasts due to the milk secretion to feed the baby.
- Menstruation: the hormones present during the menstrual cycle, such as estrogens and progesterone, prepare the woman’s body for a possible pregnancy. During this period, the breasts increase in size due to the hormonal discharge, but once the cycle is over, the size of the breasts and sensitivity are reduced.
- Use of contraceptive pills: the consumption of contraceptive pills causes fluid retention and, consequently, a temporary enlargement of the breasts. However, the breasts shrink and return to normal by stopping their intake.
- Ovulation: During this part of the cycle in women, a few days before or after, the levels of female hormones increase producing a greater blood flow in the mammary region, which causes an increase in the size of the breasts that is not real.
- Menopause: This stage is marked by hormonal changes, and the breasts decrease in size due to the drop in estrogen and progesterone.
- High consumption of coffee: the substances contained in coffee affect the levels of female hormone production. The metabolism can be altered, producing less estrogen, which causes the reduction of the breasts.
- The cigarette: can cause a decrease in oxygen levels in the cells at the level of the breasts, which produces changes in the skin, in the appearance of the breast, and a decrease in its size.
- Poland syndrome: this disease is due to an absence or unilateral hypoplasia of the pectoralis major muscle, which is located in the chest. This does not allow the development of the breast.
What to do if I lose breast
If you notice that your breasts have shrunk, you should know the cause that triggered this alteration in the first place. For this, you must go for a specialized medical evaluation. They will guide you to the cause of the decrease in breasts and suggest the appropriate treatment.
- In the beginning, it is a priority to know how the hormonal levels are, since if they are decreased, they must stabilize so that the breasts return to their average size.
- Daily physical exercise increases the breasts by developing the pectoral muscles. With push-ups, dumbbells, or machines, breast augmentation can be achieved.
- Wearing an appropriately sized bra allows optimal breast development. A tiny bra can interfere with blood circulation in the breast, negatively influencing breast development.
- It is good to massage the breasts before sleeping for about 5 minutes. This will improve blood circulation, helping you get rounder and fuller-sized breasts.
- The surgery is a trendy choice for a suitable size to the woman’s size and weight. It consists of the placement of breast implants to increase the size of the breast.
Other tips to increase breasts
If your breasts have shrunk after dieting, you should avoid extreme diets where you lose more than 1 kilogram a week. This leads to a considerable loss of collagen, as well as elastin. The longer it takes to lose weight, the better it will be for your body to keep you in shape so that your breasts are not affected.
The consumption of natural plants rich in phytoestrogens helps to supply estrogen deficiency. Phytoestrogens can be consumed through home remedies, as infusions or in capsules, from the following foods:
- Flax seeds
In the following article, you can also see What foods increase estrogens.
In addition, you should avoid a sedentary lifestyle, excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages, and excess cigarettes.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Why my breasts have shrunk, we recommend that you enter our category of Female reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.