Has it happened to you that you have noticed stiff and sore breasts? Are you worried that it is a severe problem? Did you know that this may be related to the menstrual cycle? Did you know that diet also influences? Women at any stage of their life may experience sore breasts, accompanied by hardness and tenderness, which are generally related to causes such as pregnancy, menstruation, and hormonal changes that may arise during menopause.
Whatever the origin, we must evaluate ourselves and go to the specialist when the duration of the symptoms is prolonged. In this FastlyHealarticle, we detail the question, “My breasts are hard, and they hurt: why is it?”
Stiff and sore breasts: common causes
Among the leading causes of stiff and painful breasts, we find the following:
- Hard breasts in pregnancy: This is the first reason why breasts can feel complicated and painful. It is due to the increase in breast milk production, which is normal. Even after delivery, it can increase due to breastfeeding. Don’t worry, though. Within 2-3 weeks after delivery, the breasts tend to become less rigid and softer. If that is not the case, it is recommended that you visit the gynecologist.
- Menstruation: it is likely that throughout the menstrual cycle, you experience many changes, and one of them is the manifestation of pain in your breasts. This can happen, especially before and after menstruation, due to hormonal changes. At this time, even rubbing against your underwear can make you feel uncomfortable. In the following article, you can find out in more detail about Why do breasts hurt before menstruation.
- Menopause: estrogen levels tend to vary during this stage of women, resulting in tenderness and pain in the breasts. Once this hormonal imbalance has stabilized, after having entered menopause, it is expected that there is no pain.
- Hard breasts in lactation due to mastitis are another significant reason the breasts can be sore and rigid. Mastitis is an inflammatory and infectious process of the breast that can cause symptoms such as stiffness, swelling, tenderness, redbreasts, fever, and general malaise. Mastitis is more common in lactating women because, during breastfeeding, the breast duct can become blocked and cause a breast infection. It is possible that bacteria can enter through a crack in the skin of the nipple, causing the infection.
Other causes of stiff and sore breasts
- Cysts in the breasts: these small sachets with the liquid product of hormonal modifications can cause these symptoms. The most advisable thing to do is an immediate medical evaluation in their presence.
- Fibroma: these are small but benign tumors formed by accelerated cell growth. Its presence is related to hormonal changes during menstruation, lactation, and pregnancy. Large fibroids often require surgical procedures for their complete removal.
- Breast cancer: the most feared cause by women is breast cancer, although this symptom is not always indicative of cancer. In breast cancer, there are also characteristic signs such as constant pain that does not go away, the presence of a hardened lump in the breast, discharge from the nipple, nipple inward, or changes in the breast. This type of clinical manifestation should be evaluated immediately by the specialist.
Factors that favor breast pain
In addition to the cases described above, some factors can promote breast pain, these are:
- We have increased body weight.
- Administration of oral contraceptives.
- They were wearing bras of the wrong size.
- The use of hormonal therapy.
- A bad diet.
- Excessive stimulation.
How to relieve stiff and sore breasts
Now that we know why breasts get stiff and sore, it is also necessary to know what to do to calm or mitigate these symptoms:
- If the pain is severe and does not get better, your doctor will probably suggest using anti-inflammatories to relieve the pain.
- The application of compresses of warm water allows calming the pain.
- It is advisable to wear a bra of the correct size.
- Also, avoid the bad habit of sleeping in a bra.
As described, some causes are more common than others in which painful and hard breasts are manifested. However, none of them should be underestimated. If the pain persists, spreads, and other symptoms appear, do not hesitate to go to the specialist immediately.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to My breasts are complex, and they hurt: why is it? We recommend that you enter our category of Female reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.