As the female discharge is known medically, Leucorrhea is a widespread problem, the most frequent cause of consultation in gynecology offices. The meaning of the discharge can be found in different physiological conditions of the woman, for example, when hormonal changes cause it to become thicker and sometimes whitish, or it can be caused by an imbalance in the flora that causes a well-known fungus to grow: candida.
In this FastlyHealarticle, we focus on that creamy white discharge that sometimes appears, and we don’t know why. Discover its possible causes below and when you should worry and go to the gynecologist to start the appropriate treatment.
Table of Contents
What is vaginal discharge?
Vaginal discharge, medically known as leukorrhea, is fluid that comes out of the vagina that is not blood. It can have different characteristics depending on the cause. It is not always exclusive in those women with an active sexual life since girls and adolescents can also have changes in the flow for different reasons. Changes in flow are one of the most common causes of consultation in gynecology, and almost all women at some time in life suffer from this type of problem.
If you are interested in knowing the possible causes of a white and creamy discharge, continue reading the next section.
White and creamy discharge due to physiological causes
Physiological cause means that it is normal to happen, as long as it does not disturb the woman’s everyday life.
Due to the influence of hormones, the characteristics of vaginal mucus are changing. Usually, this secretion is transparent, scanty, and odorless. Still, there are cases in which it can have the appearance of a white and creamy discharge, especially on three occasions, these are: before ovulation, during pregnancy, and in newborns. Although a hormonal influence is recognized, the cause of its becoming more abundant in some women is not known:
- Creamy white discharge before menstruation: as stated, the release may change a little before ovulation, it will become thicker (in some cases, it is described as looking like egg white), and it may even be of the milky, whitish and creamy. Such a discharge is suspected to be physiological if the woman does not have other discomforts such as itching, burning, or pain during sexual intercourse. Her sexual partner has no symptoms and has not previously had any gynecological intervention. You can see more details in the article Thick white flow before the rule.
- Creamy white discharge in pregnancy: In this stage, secretions from the vagina and cervix tend to increase, the pH changes, so a thicker release may appear. On the other hand, these changes can also make you more likely to have vaginal infections, and some can be complicated for the baby, so the medical consultation should always be done on time.
- Newborns: Newborns may have a discharge that does not bother them. This is due to the passage of hormones from the mother to the daughter. It disappears on its own, and no action should be taken.
It has been recognized that the physiological flow can be more abundant when consuming foods that cause inflammation in the body or poison it, such as dairy products, flours with gluten, sugar. Therefore, it is expected that healthy eating will decrease the amount of discharge and make it more transparent.
In general, this type of flow does not require any intervention, but if you have doubts about whether it is your case or not, consult your trusted doctor.
Creamy white discharge with yeast odor and itchiness
One of the most common reasons for a discharge to turn white and creamy is a yeast infection. It is a vaginal infection caused by a fungus and, in addition to the clearance, other symptoms usually appear, such as:
- Ardor vulvar.
- Bad smell.
- Discomfort when urinating
This type of infection is widespread, and, sometimes, it can become recurrent. That is, despite different treatments, it persists or reappears shortly afterward. Various factors can cause this:
- Local irritants
- Medication use (antibiotics, estrogens, hormonal contraceptives)
- Low defenses
- Inadequate or concise previous treatments
- Acidifying diet (consumption of flour, sugar, meat, dairy)
To solve it, it must be diagnosed correctly since it can sometimes be confused with other flow causes. As they see fit, the specialist or your GP will tell you to do a long-term treatment (more than six months) with oral fluconazole, local miconazole, or boric acid. Natural therapies can also be performed based on herbs such as calendula, marshmallow, stone grass, and oak bark.
The following article explains why recurrent yeast infection occurs and how to treat it.
Meaning of white and creamy discharge in oriental medicine
In the medical practice of different oriental cultures, a different connotation is given to the whitish and creamy discharge or leucorrhoea. Both in Ayurvedic medicine (typical of India) and traditional Chinese medicine and in Iranian medicine (one of the oldest and with a bibliography that lasts until today), it is understood that the female flow is a sign of other types of problems: stress, depressed, weakened women are more susceptible to suffering from this type of problem chronically, and this is very compatible with Western natural medicine and with current scientific treatment since, as seen in previous sections, causes of whitish discharge are usually benign, many times the cause is not found and are often closely related to lifestyle.
To improve leucorrhoea, a series of changes in habits are proposed that depend to a great extent on the woman who suffers from the problem, including:
- Improve feeding: feeding is key to improving flow, whatever the cause.
- Drink water: hydrate properly, leaving aside drinks with sugar or artificial sweeteners, alcohol, coffee, black tea.
- Perform physical exercise: movement activates circulation and improves body disorders.
- Sitz baths: only with water or with herbs that facilitate vaginal cleaning, not only as a treatment for an infection but also, so that circulation at the abdominal and genital level is adequate.
- Depending on the culture, different ways of achieving balance are implemented: acupuncture, auriculotherapy, herbal therapies, body, and energy cleansing. Various scientific works show the improvement of women with different treatments of this type.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Creamy white flow: what does it mean? We recommend that you enter our category of Female reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.