The color of tooth enamel is defined by the characteristics of each individual, however this white color can be altered due to some bad habits in our food and hygiene. There are different types of stains on teeth , but the good news is that they all have a solution, although some treatments can be more invasive than others, it all depends on whether the stain occurs internally or externally. At FastlyHealwe explain the causes and treatments for stains on teeth .
Table of Contents
Cause of stained teeth
It is normal that over time, the teeth lose their shine and yellow spots begin to appear that are generated by external factors such as food. The main causes of tooth staining are the following:
- Genetics : genes have an influence on the thickness and transparency of the teeth, which are responsible for giving them their color. If someone in your family has stains on their teeth, chances are that you develop them too.
- Food : consuming large quantities of drinks such as coffee, tea, soft drinks or red wine, will penetrate the enamel giving it a yellowish color. In the same way, some vegetables and fruits, especially those of dark color and those that have citric acid, sauces and condiments such as curry, soy, vinegar and tomato.
- Medications : Antibiotics and excess fluoride can cause white spots on the teeth.
- Bumps : if you have had any cracks or bumps, and even if you usually grind your teeth, this causes small cracks that will affect the enamel and cause stains on the teeth.
- Smoking : over time and because of the tar it has, cigarettes have consequences for your gums, inflaming them and changing the color and even the loss of your teeth.
Treatment for stains on teeth
The essential thing for the treatment of stains on the teeth will be oral hygiene and in some cases a more specialized process, so we recommend:
- Whitening toothpastes : although they do not change the color of the teeth, they create a smooth and shiny surface, improving the appearance of your teeth. Additionally, use a mouthwash to prevent tartar buildup.
- Whitening kits : they only work if the stains on the teeth are caused by external agents such as food and drinks. They are composed of hydrogen peroxide in a lower concentration than that used in dental clinics and will be more or less effective, depending on the frequency and time of application. Some can cause enamel changes and sensitivity.
- Whitening treatments : it is recommended if your spots are caused by genetic factors. But in case the problem is in the transparency of the tooth, this will be the only element that cannot be treated with whitening treatments.
- Limit your consumption of foods that stain your teeth .
Keep in mind that before performing a treatment to whiten your teeth you should consult your dentist, also if you use whitening kits limit their use so as not to damage the enamel and make sure that your teeth are healthy before applying it.
Foods to protect your teeth
Although over time the teeth will also stain, we can take some measures in terms of our diet to counteract the effect on our oral health. Some of the foods you should eat to protect your teeth are:
- Dairy : especially cured cheeses, since they increase saliva production and prevent the action of acids, as well as natural yogurts and milk.
- Colorless foods : include white rice, fish, white chocolate and pasta with light sauces in your diet.
- Fruits and vegetables : they are other foods to protect your teeth . Fibrous fruits like apples and vegetables like carrots, celery, and lettuce.
- Sugar-free gum : the sweeteners they contain do not damage tooth enamel and will freshen your breath.
Home remedies for teeth whitening
Remember that the visit to the dentist has to be every six months, if you have stains on your teeth it is recommended that you consult with him to have a correct diagnosis and be able to carry out the ideal treatment.
Here are some home remedies to whiten your teeth :
- Eating apples and papaya will not only whiten your teeth but will also strengthen your gums.
- Take a banana peel and rub the inside on your teeth for two minutes, you can repeat it several times a day. This fruit has salicylic acid that favors the whitening of your teeth.
- Place sage leaves in a cup of boiling water and wait until it is warm. Use it as a mouthwash, after every meal.
- Make a paste with a tablespoon of brewer’s yeast, two teaspoons of salt, and a little water. Use it as a toothpaste.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Stains on the teeth: causes and treatment , we recommend that you enter our category of Teeth and mouth .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.