Sexual aversion is a rejection of sexual contact that causes fear, anxiety, and even hatred against any sexual behavior. It is more common in women than in men, and the causes are psychological, and may also be related to physical factors, although to a lesser extent. It can be a problem for the sexual life of a couple since the person suffering from this disorder suffers from the mere idea of having sex, in addition to rejecting any physical contact or show of affection that requires communication. The treatment for this disorder tries to face the cause that generates sexual rejection, and its success will be influenced by the different factors involved. In this FastlyHealarticle we explain the causes and treatments of sexual aversion.
Table of Contents
Causes of sexual aversion
In most cases, the causes of sexual aversion are psychological, although there is a possibility that it is caused by physical factors, such as pain. The main factors that could be behind this disorder are the following:
- Predisposing factors . They are those that correspond to the antecedents that precede the person and that he has been able to suffer previously in childhood. Sexual, moral, and religious education may have been very strict; traumatic sexual experiences in childhood, such as sexual abuse, rape, or incest; dyspareunia, that is, painful intercourse.
- Precipitating factors . They depend on when they occur and what may have triggered them. Traumatic sexual experiences, dyspareunia, hormonal changes, psychiatric illnesses such as depression and anxiety, relationship problems, etc.
- Maintaining factors . Linked to the present, such as anxiety about sexual contact, lack of communication between the couple, self-esteem problems, mental disorders, etc.
Types of sexual aversion
Sexual aversion disorder occurs more often in women than men and can be classified based on when it happens.
- Primary sexual aversion . The person suffers from the sexual disorder forever. In these cases, the cause is usually a sexual trauma that occurred before the person began their sexual life: sexual abuse, rape, etc.
- Secondary aversion . Symptoms of hate appear after the person’s sex life has started smoothly. This is known as acquired aversion.
- Generalized version . Rejection of sexual contact takes place with anyone.
- Situational aversion . The person suffers from the symptoms of sexual phobia with some specific partners.
Treatment of sexual aversion
Treatment of sexual aversion focuses on addressing the cause of the symptoms. In most cases, the reason is psychological, so going to a specialist will be essential to establish a diagnosis and locate the trigger for sexual aversion. For this, the factors explained above will be taken into account, and depending on who is behind the disorder, it will try to address it with the most appropriate techniques.
In general, the most common therapy is usually behavioral or dynamic psychotherapy. A series of psychological techniques are taught so that the person can cope with the emotional problem until it is overcome. This therapy is about unlearning specific bad experiences and relearning to replace them. The psychologist is in charge of guiding the person to overcome the disorder.
In general, the treatment of sexual aversion aims to:
- Reduce anxiety at the thought of having sexual contact.
- Get the person to enjoy sexual intercourse.
- Improve the life of a couple of the person who suffers sexual aversion.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Sexual aversion: causes and treatments, we recommend that you enter our category of Mental Disorders .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.