Looking for a healthy way to lose weight? So you must bear in mind that you have to maintain a balance between a healthy diet and some daily exercise, as they are complementary aspects to take care of our health and to obtain good results in terms of weight control. There are many natural products that can help you lose a few kilos in a healthy way and one of the best is oat bran, since it contains a large amount of fiber and is very easy to include in our diet. If you want to discover how to lose weight by taking this cereal that complements the diet, keep reading this article by FastlyHealand discover all about oat bran: weight loss properties and how to take it .
What is oat bran
Before deciding to start taking a product, even if it is natural, we must know what exactly it is and what it contains. Thus, oat bran is the set of outer layers of the grain of this cereal, although the bran can be from any other cereal such as wheat or rice bran. These are the parts that are usually removed from the product during the refining of cereals to market them and, by separating it, this new product can be found separately for consumption.
This natural product is made up of the outermost shells or layers and part of the inner layers of the oats , parts in which we find numerous very beneficial nutrients for health. Specifically, for every 100gr of oat bran we find the following nutrients :
- Water: 6.55gr
- Fat: 7.03gr
- Energy: 246kcal
- Vegetable proteins: 17,30gr
- Carbohydrates: 66.22gr
- Fiber: 15.4gr
- Potassium: 566mg
- Iron: 5.41mg
- Phosphorus: 734mg
- Magnesium: 235mg
- Manganese: 5.63mg
- Sodium: 4mg
- Calcium: 58mg
- Zinc: 3,11mg
- Copper: 0.40mg
What is oat bran for and what are its contraindications
This product obtained from oats is used both in diets and in a balanced and healthy diet as well as in home remedies to treat health problems and for beauty. If you wonder what oat bran is for, pay attention to the main uses of this product:
- Constipation: due to its high fiber content, in the right doses, it is a perfect food supplement to regulate intestinal transit and treat constipation .
- Losing weight: many people wonder if oat bran is fattening or not and the short answer is no, because it actually helps us lose weight. Thanks also to the effects of fiber since it helps to regulate intestinal transit, this food helps us lose weight in a healthy way, although if we want to use it for this purpose, the most appropriate thing is for a doctor or a nutritionist to guide us and tell us what daily amount is adequate in our case.
- Soothe the skin: in addition to soothing irritated skin and soothing itching, it is a perfect remedy for treating eczema and dermatitis. To use this bran for the skin, you have to make poultices or pastes as an ointment to apply to the affected area and you should clean this part of the body with oatmeal water or make oatmeal baths for the skin .
- Exfoliate and unify the skin tone: oatmeal and especially the bran part is ideal for exfoliating the skin and removing dead cells and blemishes, also lightening the skin tone and eliminating blemishes. In fact, oatmeal is used in some of the best homemade face scrubs like the ones you can see in this other FastlyHealarticle.
Contraindications of oat bran
Although it is a very beneficial cereal, this and its bran are contraindicated in the following cases:
- People allergic or intolerant to any component
- Irritable bowel
- Ulcerative colitis
- Stomach and intestinal ulcers
- Inflammation and obstruction of the gallbladder
- Intestinal occlusion
- Short bowel syndrome
Properties of oat bran to lose weight and how to take it
This product is very effective to include in weight loss diets, but before starting to use it you have to know the reasons why it works so well and consult your doctor. These are the properties of oat bran to lose weight :
- Fibers: the bran of this cereal has a large amount of soluble and insoluble fibers and this makes it very effective to regulate intestinal transit and make fat absorption much slower allowing our body to use them for energy more easily before they accumulate.
- Mucilages: it is a fiber-type nutrient that absorbs water and toxins very easily and helps us improve our metabolism. Therefore, this component is vital to help us lose kilos.
- Satiating effect: due to the amount of fibers and mucilage that this cereal has, it is a natural satiating agent, which has more effect if accompanied with liquids since then the satiety effect is greater. This will help us reduce the feeling of hunger and anxiety during diets.
In addition, to know how to take oat bran to lose weight it is vital to follow the advice of the doctors in each specific case but, in general, it is considered that the daily amount of oat bran is 1 to 3 tablespoons and that it can be exceeded lead to adverse effects.
Oat bran with skimmed milk or yogurt
Among the best recipes with oat bran for breakfast and also for a snack we find the one that mixes it with skimmed natural yogurt and without added sugar. Thus, we will also take advantage of the benefits that yogurt has for our body, especially for the digestive system, as it helps us to take care of the intestinal flower and avoid diseases. You just have to add a teaspoon of this bran in the yogurt and mix well before eating.
But, if you prefer to drink milk before eating yogurt, oat bran with skimmed milk is another very effective option to take advantage of the benefits of this cereal and have a good supply of protein and calcium for breakfasts and snacks. It is recommended that you only add one or two tablespoons of this cereal to skim milk and never more.
Muesli with oat bran
If you are one of those who enjoy cereals with milk for breakfast or also if you like to snack on cereals, one of the best options for recipes with oat bran for breakfast and snack is to make your own homemade muesli.
To do this, you just have to mix several types of whole grains and include the bran of this beneficial cereal, in addition to adding nuts and red fruits. It is an excellent way to complete the nutritional contribution in breakfasts and snacks while we lose weight little by little in a healthy way.
Fruit juices with oat bran for weight loss
Another perfect way to take advantage of the benefits of this cereal is to include it in juices to lose weight , either fruit and / or vegetables. They will be ideal to take between meals or as a snack or breakfast. You just have to choose foods that are suitable for burning fat, purifying and eliminating liquids as well as providing many healthy nutrients. We recommend that you use oranges, pineapple, carrots, cucumber, spinach, celery, apple, papaya, kiwi, etc. Add only 1 tablespoon of oat bran in for each juice you drink and it is advisable to drink only 1 juice a day.
Also, in desserts and snacks you can have fruit salad with oat bran . Simply chop the fruits, add the cereal and orange juice.
Salad with oat bran
If you want to include this cereal in the main dishes of your diet, it is best to add 1 tablespoon of oat bran in the salad or in the broth or in the purees. Sprinkle this cereal on the salad or the broth and mix well so that it is distributed throughout the plate and enjoy this tasty dish that will help you lose weight at most 2 times a day .
Of course, it is better to avoid salads and soups that have pasta and take the broth alone or with the vegetables included, as well as avoid excess cheeses and nuts in salads.
How to prepare oatmeal water to lose weight
To get the most out of this cereal, a good option is to drink oatmeal water throughout the day, but the most effective is to drink 1 glass on an empty stomach . To make this oatmeal water to lose weight, you just have to follow these steps:
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 2 liters of mineral water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
- Blend the oats until they are ground and add them to a pot with the water, this should cover the oats completely.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes and then strain the resulting liquid.
- When it is cold you can drink it, although if you like it it is also good to drink it warm, and you can add a little natural sweetener such as stevia.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Oat bran: weight loss properties and how to take it , we recommend that you enter our Food category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.