The bronchi are the tubes responsible for carrying air from the trachea to the lungs; being exposed to contact with air is quite frequent, and they can be damaged or inflamed. Tobacco smoke, viruses, bacteria, and hot or cold air, can lead to inflammation of the bronchial tubes, medically known as bronchitis.
Among other symptoms caused by bronchitis, the one that stands out the most is the loss of ability to transport the same amount of air, either when inhaling or exhaling it, which is why it causes coughing or wheezing.
However, there are different types of bronchitis, depending on their cause, which has other symptoms and manifestations. A reasonably common thought is to wonder if the bronchitis is contagious, an answer that cannot be given in a single sentence. Here we explain the different types of bronchitis and if it is contagious or not.
Types of bronchitis
There are two different types of bronchitis, differing in their causes and some symptoms and consequences. Below we explain the characteristics of each one:
- Chronic bronchitis: Chronic bronchitis is suffered permanently; it is not caused by bacteria or any type of virus but by other factors or toxic agents with lifestyle. Tobacco and the inhalation of its poisonous smoke is the leading cause of this type of bronchitis. Being a passive smoker can also trigger chronic bronchitis and pollution or exposure to substances such as alcohol. Among the symptoms of this condition, the appearance of cough with mucus stands out, which can be improved with some of our home remedies.
- Acute bronchitis: Unlike chronic bronchitis, acute bronchitis is a transient condition, infectious in origin, and lasts as long as it takes the body to form antibodies and overcome the infection. It can be caused by a virus or bacteria, although the former is the most common. The virus is usually the same one that causes us colds or colds; for this reason, the first symptoms of acute bronchitis are the same as those of the flu or colds; sore throat and mucus, which gradually get worse over time subsides again.
Is bronchitis contagious?
To answer whether bronchitis is contagious, we must separate the two types of bronchitis that we have just explained. In this way, we can affirm that acute bronchitis IS infectious while chronic bronchitis is not.
Given that acute bronchitis is caused by viruses or bacteria. However, the latter represents a tiny percentage, the virus being the cause of 90% of infections; people are infected through contact with other people already infected.
Even so, not whenever we are in contact with a person with acute bronchitis, we will get it. That will depend on the state of the disease in that person, our immune system, and other factors such as the treatment followed. In general, bronchitis is most contagious during the first days of its onset, when the first symptoms begin to appear. Still, it continues to have the ability to spread the virus as long as it continues to have symptoms such as coughing.
Tips to prevent the spread of bronchitis
It is widespread that there are many bronchitis infections in close circles in a short space of time; these raisins could be avoided by adopting some simple preventive measures. Here are some tips to prevent the spread of bronchitis :
- Frequent hand washing is essential to prevent bronchitis from spreading. If you have children at home, you should also have them washed every time you go out or are with other children.
- The influenza virus is one of the significant causes of bronchitis, so getting vaccinated against this virus is one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of bronchitis.
- Bronchitis is a disease that occurs mainly in winter; because of this, it is better not to expose children or yourself to low temperatures, especially not to make sudden changes.
- In the year when the bronchitis is more widespread, large crowds of people should be avoided, places where the air may be stale, either of tobacco smoke or ventilation systems that can expose you to the virus.
- Affected people should rest at home until symptoms go away.
- Acute bronchitis sufferers should use their towels, cover themselves before coughing, and avoid sharing any object that may be infected with another person.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Is bronchitis contagious? We recommend that you enter our category of Lung and respiratory tract.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.