Sleeping correctly and the minimum hours indicated by the specialists is essential to regain energy and be able to face daily activities. This is why people who cannot rest well find themselves moody and uncomfortable throughout the day. Although there are numerous reasons why someone cannot sleep properly, the most frequent cause is other people’s snoring, however, there are also cases in which the snoring itself awakens and not only that you cannot sleep properly, but many they are ashamed to snore if they are sleeping with others.
It is very common for many people to associate snoring with being overweight, but this is not the only cause since it can be due to posture, diet, among others. Therefore, if you wonder how to sleep so as not to snore , we advise you to continue reading the following FastlyHealarticle where you will find some factors to take into account when going to bed.
Table of Contents
The correct posture to stop snoring
While sleeping on your back is a good posture to avoid back discomfort because the spine is completely relaxed, it is the position that most favors the appearance of snoring . This is because the throat muscles relax so much that they block the airways, so you should avoid sleeping this way if you are trying not to snore.
It is advisable to sleep on your side to avoid snoring , that is, with the head and neck aligned, leaving the throat completely clear to be able to breathe correctly; however, it is important not to lean on either limb, as severe cramps can occur. In addition to all the above, sleeping in the fetal position is also a good option for the back, so it is highly recommended if you want not to snore and, at the same time, avoid muscle discomfort.
Another option to stop snoring is to sleep on your stomach , however, this sleeping position is not recommended at all because it favors the appearance of back pain. When sleeping in this position, the spine begins to suffer due to being in a forced posture, so it is not recommended to rest in this way even to avoid snoring.
Exercises and tricks to avoid snoring
Some experts assure that doing certain exercises at least 3 times every day, can reduce or even prevent snoring at night. Among them are the following:
- Press the palate , that is, the roof of the mouth, with the tip of the tongue for 5 seconds and then pull it back and hold this for another seconds. You have to do several repetitions per set to achieve effective results.
- Another exercise to repeat 3 times a day is to press the back of the tongue towards the floor of the mouth to finally push the tip of the tongue against the teeth. Several repetitions must be performed for each session.
- In the following exercise you will need to use your fingers to push your cheeks out and at the same time chew on a food , such as raisins, that requires you to use both parts of your mouth.
According to some studies, they assure that those who performed this exercise 3 times a day for a few consecutive weeks, 36% of them snored with less continuity and 59% with less intensity.
Habits and products to stop snoring
There are some habits that by modifying them can help considerably to reduce the frequency of snoring when sleeping , among which they have this effect are:
- Do not make heavy dinners . It is important that the last meal of the day is light and easy to digest.
- Eat dinner at least an hour before going to bed, in this way digestion is facilitated and no more fat accumulates than it should.
- Staying at the correct weight. The overweight and obesity can be a key factor to bedtime because it facilitates the emergence of snoring, so it is important to ensure always remain with the proper weight.
- Reduce or eliminate alcohol consumption . This substance can also influence if you are one of the people who snore regularly. Try not to consume alcohol, especially at night before sleeping because the muscles relax too much and snoring appears.
- Do not drink infusions or chamomile before going to bed. Different types of tea and chamomile that help sleep better can affect snorers, as they excessively relax the muscles of the pharynx and, therefore, increase the vibrations of the bell.
- If you suffer from sleep apnea, you can use the continuous positive airway pressure mask or CPAP. It is a device that is placed in the nose to sleep avoiding apnea and, at the same time, snoring.
- If you suffer from rhinitis or other airway disorders, it is important to carry out the correct treatment and eliminate them, as they can obstruct the airways, make it difficult to breathe and cause snoring throughout the night.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to sleep to avoid snoring , we recommend that you enter our Lung and respiratory tract category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.