The wounds on the penis, either the glans (head of the penis) or foreskin (layer of soft skin covering the glans), can be caused by different causes, which must be known to treat them later appropriately. These injuries can be caused by sexual intercourse, after wearing very tight clothing, poor intimate hygiene, or even STDs and other infections, as we remember that it is a susceptible and delicate area.
Any injury to the penis must be treated immediately to avoid complications, so it is essential to pay attention to it from the first time we observe it and start the appropriate treatment according to your home. Such treatment may include ointments, creams, antibiotics, and healing agents. In this FastlyHealarticle, we explain how to heal penile wounds according to the cause that originated them.
Table of Contents
Causes of penis injuries
It is essential to know a little about the possible causes that can generate wounds in both the glans and the foreskin; in this way, you can explain to the doctor what is the situation we are going through:
The glans is an area of the penis that has multiple nerve endings, which makes it a much more sensitive place; However, it is thicker than the rest of the penis, and it can be susceptible to hygiene products, such as soap, and even It can be sensitive to certain fabrics in clothing. The irritation of the foreskin or glans can cause:
- Cracks in the foreskin .
- Intense itching leads to scratching and possible injuries.
In addition, the skin can also be irritated by the friction of some intimate garments and by poor hygiene in this area. This increases sweating and foul odor, favoring the growth of microorganisms on the skin of the glans and foreskin.
The rough sexual act represents a common cause of the appearance of wounds in the foreskin and glans. This occurs due to rubbing or excessive friction during sexual intercourse or masturbation.
STDs transmitted by viruses
- HIV: the Human Immunodeficiency Virus directly affects the immune system, increasing the chances of suffering from diseases of other types, which the body can no longer easily fight normally. It is spread through unprotected sex. One of the symptomatic manifestations of this sexually transmitted disease is the presence of wounds on the penis and lesions on the genitals, especially an injury on the foreskin and a kind of ulcer on the glans penis. Only the doctor can determine this cause. According to World Health Organization data, in 2016, at least one million people died worldwide from HIV .
- Genital herpes: This is another sexual infection that causes wounds on the glans; it is one of the most common. The herpes simplex virus transmits it through direct contact with people who have or present active lessons. Having genital herpes causes painful red and burning blisters in this area. Relapses of genital herpes simplex occur between 30 and 70% of infected individuals. Generally, they are much less severe than primary infections .
- HPV: known as the human papillomavirus, is a common sexually transmitted infection through direct sexual contact with a person infected with this virus. In men, the manifestation of symptoms is rare. However, there is a minimal possibility of causing the typical genital warts (warts shaped like cauliflower around the penis).
STDs transmitted by bacteria
- Syphilis: is an infection transmitted through direct contact during vaginal, oral, or anal sex caused by a bacterium called ” Treponema Pallidum. ” It induces a kind of painless wound or ulcer for some time, approximately three weeks after infection.
- Chancroid is a bacterial infection transmitted through sexual intercourse, caused by a bacterium called ” Haemophilus ducreyi. ” The infected person will manifest symptoms after 1 to 15 days; a painful, soft ulcer with well-defined edges appears, usually on the foreskin, body, or head of the penis.
- Lymphogranuloma venereum: Bacterial STD caused by strains of ” Chlamydia Trachomatis, “symptoms manifest from 3 to 12 days after infection. It causes a kind of painless wound or ulcer on the genitals; simultaneously, it initiates an increase in the size of the inguinal lymph nodes.
Fungi on the glans
A man likely suffers from fungus on the glans, caused by the yeast ” Candida Albicans, “which causes bothersome symptoms in the genital area when it proliferates, such as redness, itching, red and white bumps on the glans, cracks in the foreskin and pain during sexual intercourse.
The following article explains the causes, symptoms, and treatment of glans fungus.
Likewise, there are other infections caused by viruses, bacteria, parasites, and fungi that can cause injuries to the penis. These conditions include:
- He had it.
It is rare but has a higher incidence in people over 60 years of age, men who have poor hygiene in the intimate area leading to the accumulation of smegma, men with a history of HPV, and men who smoke. Having cancer in the penis causes:
- Changes in the texture of the skin.
- Changes in skin color
- Appearance of wounds on the penis.
- Appearance of nodules.
- Difficulty urinating.
How to heal wounds on the penis from friction or irritation
The proper way to heal wounds in the foreskin or glans will depend on the cause that the doctor has diagnosed after the specialized evaluation.
In case the wound on the penis is caused by skin irritation. First, it is necessary to identify the irritating substance, be it soap, the use of an intimate garment, or even poor hygiene:
- To treat allergic processes, it will be necessary to use anti-allergy ointments or tablets to improve symptoms and promote the healing process, such as Beducen.
- Avoiding the use of the irritating substance will considerably promote wound healing.
- If it is a wound due to the use of a tight intimate garment, in addition to healing the damage, it is essential to avoid the use of this underwear and adjust the size.
- Comply with essential hygiene habits, especially in this sensitive area.
On the other hand, it is easy to heal if it is a wound caused by sexual intercourse due to rubbing or friction. If the damage is bleeding, it is essential to wash the area with cold water previously and neutral soap or preferably an antibacterial soap; after this, it is recommended to dry the area well with gentle touches by using a sterile gauze to avoid other complications. If the bleeding has not stopped yet, you can use a little hydrogen peroxide applied with gauze.
Once the first home care is done, it is essential to see a doctor prevent the wound from getting worse. The doctor will likely indicate appropriate disinfectants for this area, such as iodine, allowing damage free of bacteria and the proliferation of microorganisms that can complicate this injury.
Refrain from sexual intercourse while undergoing treatment to heal a wound on the penis.
How to heal wounds on the penis from infections and STDs
It is also essential to know how wounds on the foreskin or glans due to sexually transmitted diseases and other infections should be healed without overlooking the specialist’s assessment and therapeutic medical prescription.
To treat bacterial, viral, fungal, or parasitic infections, the doctor will indicate effective drugs to eliminate the causative agent:
- If it is a bacterial infection, the doctor will probably prescribe antibiotics such as penicillin as the drug of choice.
- If it is a viral infection, the doctor will prescribe an antiviral like acyclovir or ganciclovir. It is also likely that anesthetic gels with lidocaine are indicated to reduce the annoying symptoms generated after an injury to the penis, such as pain and burning.
- If it were a fungal infection, it would be used as medicine as antifú ngico.
- Likewise, in the case of treating parasitic infections, the doctor will indicate the appropriate medication, such as, metronidazole or tinidazole to treat trichomoniasis and, lastly, immunosuppressive drugs according to the disease to be treated.
- Finally, if it is a malignant lesion, the indicated treatment will be determined by the oncologist and urologist, including surgery, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy, depending on the severity of the lesion.
It is essential to be aware that not all sexually transmitted diseases are wholly fought or established. In some disorders of this type, the medication decreases the symptoms and prevents the progression of the disease. What will be possible is that with the use of proper treatment, the wounds on the penis head.
Tips to avoid injury to the penis
The best way to avoid injuries to the glans and foreskin is to take into account a series of measures and cares on a day-to-day basis, such as:
- Responsible sex, especially using condoms.
- It is essential to get vaccinated against HPV, a recommended vaccine for 26 years.
- Have correct hygiene habits, and use neutral soaps for the intimate area that are not used for the rest of the body.
- If you are undergoing medical treatment to heal a wound on the penis, avoid having sexual intercourse.
The best recommendation that we can give you to heal a wound on the genitals is to disinfect the area of the injury and go immediately to the doctor. The use of home remedies without the supervision of the specialist can lead to the complication of the damage because this area is very delicate and sensitive and a place of preference for the growth of infectious microorganisms.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to heal wounds on the penis , we recommend that you enter our category of Male reproductive system .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.