Due to its versatility and multiple uses, Bicarbonate is a product that is usually found in almost any home. Whether in the kitchen, for household cleaning, or as a home remedy, baking soda is helpful in many situations.
On the subject of health, which interests us, bicarbonate can offer us great benefits at the digestive level, being used to facilitate digestion, eliminate gas and relieve abdominal distension. But how you can take bicarbonate are many, and in the following FastlyHealarticle, we will explain it to you. Do you want to know how to eliminate gases with baking soda? We present it to you!
Table of Contents
How to remove gas with baking soda
As we just mentioned, bicarbonate offers excellent benefits to the digestive system; specifically, they are a perfect remedy to relieve gas. Bicarbonate is suitable for this condition because, when we take it, it creates a reaction to stomach acids. In the stomach, baking soda produces carbon dioxide, a component that helps expel gas from the intestine.
It also promotes the development of a more alkaline pH, which favors digestive complications such as heartburn, abdominal bloating, or dyspepsia. If you want more information, in the following FastlyHealarticle, we will talk about the benefits of sodium bicarbonate.
Home remedies to expel gas with baking soda
There are many options available to us when expelling gases with bicarbonate. Surely you know some of them, as they are home remedies that have helped family health for generations, but others may not be so popular but are as or more effective. Here we explain the main home remedies to eliminate gas with bicarbonate :
- Baking soda with water is the easiest way to take it and the most common. The fact that it is the most common is due to its simplicity. And you have to add half a tablespoon of baking soda to half a glass of water. You stir it so that it dissolves, and you drink it.
- Lemon bicarbonate: to further increase its effectiveness and add a touch of flavor, we can also take it by adding lemon juice. In addition to bicarbonate, lemon is also a portion of good food for digestion since it accelerates it and promotes stomach emptying. The preparation method is very similar to what we have just explained. Add half a spoon of bicarbonate to half a glass of water. However, in addition to this, you must add three tablespoons of natural lemon juice before taking it.
- Baking soda with apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is another excellent natural product to expel gas from the stomach. In addition, this vinegar is also helpful to relieve poor digestion and heavy gut and constipation. The way of preparation is the same as that of the lemon. However, instead of the lemon, you will have to add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
Eliminate gas with bicarbonate: other remedies
Beyond expelling gas, baking soda is also suitable for other digestive conditions. Some of the conditions that can be treated with bicarbonate are heartburn, dyspepsia, or bloating. The remedies that we will explain below are helpful for all of them, and they are also beneficial for expelling gases :
- Baking soda with mint helps both remove gas and undo abdominal bloating, primarily when it is caused by flatulence. The best way to prepare this remedy is to make an infusion of mint, either with a bag or with fresh grass, and, after letting it rest for 15 minutes, add 1/2 tablespoon of bicarbonate to the infusion.
- Baking soda with chamomile: when it comes to alleviating flatulence, chamomile with baking soda becomes one of the best remedies that we have at our disposal. The preparation method is precisely the same as that of mint. However, we must replace the mint infusion with a chamomile infusion.
- Baking soda with ginger: Ginger is another natural product that can offer us significant benefits in our digestive system and the expulsion of flatulence. So, if we take ginger with bicarbonate of soda, we will eliminate gas, but it also favors the digestive process and helps reduce inflammation of the stomach. The preparation method is the same, adding half a tablespoon of bicarbonate to a ginger infusion.
- Baking soda with cinnamon: mint infusions have been used in a traditional way to combat stomach discomfort. If, in addition, we add the properties of sodium bicarbonate, we will obtain a beneficial drink to expel gases. The preparation is the same that we have explained: make a cinnamon tea and then add bicarbonate of soda.
Bicarbonate for gases: contraindications
But as with any other remedy, it is essential to know in which cases we can take bicarbonate for gases and in which circumstances we must abstain. Under what conditions bicarbonate may be contraindicated and cause side effects. Below we explain the contraindications of bicarbonate and in which topics you should not take it:
- Do not take baking soda if you are already taking antacid drugs.
- Please do not take it in excess. Taking more bicarbonate into account will alter the balance of acids in your body, which can cause diarrhea, cramps, and vomiting.
- Baking soda is a very high sodium product. That is why if you take it in too high doses, it can cause side effects such as high blood pressure and end up causing heart failure.
- People with liver disease, kidney disease, hypertension, or edema should not consume bicarbonate.
- Lactating or pregnant people should not consume bicarbonate.
- Children should not consume baking soda under five years of age.
- Don’t take baking soda for more than two consecutive weeks.
- It would be best if you always took the bicarbonate diluted in water.
- You should not consume bicarbonate if you take other medications such as calcium supplements, corticosteroids, or aspirin.
Taking all this into account, the most advisable thing is to go to the doctor so that he can guide you and encourage you or not, to consume bicarbonate to relieve gas.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to eliminate gas with bicarbonate, we recommend that you enter our Digestive System category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.