The eyes are characterized by being organs whose internal structure is a large number of blood vessels, which can dilate under certain stimuli, in this case, giving the whites of the eyes a red color. In general, this is the eye’s reaction to the presence of an irritant on its surface. Eye irritation is accompanied by discomfort, itching, burning, discharge, and blurred vision. Due to how sensitive the eyes are and how annoying the symptoms of anger can be, it is always necessary to have some alternative to reduce the symptoms. In this FastlyHealarticle, we want to present you with a variety of home remedies for red and irritated eyes., which are easy to get and quite possibly you already have at home.
Table of Contents
Red and irritated eyes: causes
Next, we will mention the most common causes that can cause the eyes to look red and irritated; these are:
- Conjunctivitis: it is a widespread eye infection, which is highly contagious from one person to another. The disease appears in the conjunctiva, and when it is contracted, the eye’s surface looks red and irritated.
- Very dry eye: This problem, known as dry eyes, appears when the lacrimal glands produce an insufficient amount of tears, so the look is not sufficiently hydrated or lubricated.
- Allergic reaction: redness and irritation is a prevalent indicator that a person is allergic to a particular substance. It is due to the body’s response against some foreign agent such as pollen, makeup, pet hair, or chemicals, such as solutions for contact lenses.
- Contact lenses: can be generated by excessive use of the lenses or absence in their care of them. This is due to the accumulation of microorganisms inside the lenses, which can irritate.
- Observing a computer for a long time or not sleeping correctly, generates a tired, burning, and reddened vision.
- Uveitis: it is an infection in the cornea, which in addition to producing red eyes, makes irritation such as pain, discharge, and blurred vision.
Home remedies for red and irritated eyes
Use of cold or warm compresses
It is a good home remedy for red and inflamed eyes when you have spent a night without adequate sleep. It is used to decrease eye inflammation. To do this, you must apply cold or warm compresses to the eyes’ surface together with a towel. You can also wrap ice in a clean towel and apply it to your eyes. In addition to cold water, you can use tea bags, such as chamomile, which you will immerse in cold water and apply on the surface of the eyes.
It is a vegetable that has been used for a long time to improve eye health because it offers excellent results on the surface of the eye due to its viewed properties and that help to decongest the eyes. If you have read and irritated eyes, carrot slices will be an ideal option to improve the condition. To do this, you must boil a carrot and then let it cool. After cooling, cut two thin slices and place them over your eyes for 10 minutes, you can repeat this process at least three times a day, and you will see how the irritation will improve.
Witch hazel is one of the best plants to treat red and irritated eyes, as it is anti-inflammatory and antiseptic. To use it, you can prepare a simple infusion, boiling it together with the water, and once it has settled, you can place it on the surface of your eyes together with the cotton for a few seconds, which will allow the surface to be moistened.
Water of roses
It is a perfect option to cure red and irritated eyes; this is because it exerts a soothing and refreshing action. For this, you have to dip cotton in the rose water, place it on the surface of the eye and let it act for a few minutes, at least 10.
Indeed, you have seen that some people place cucumber slices on the eyes’ surface and it is not simply a fad. Cucumber is a good home remedy for irritated and red eyes because, in addition to being refreshing, it fights eye redness. To do this, the cucumber must be cold enough. The potato also has an effect similar to that of the cucumber.
It is another essential remedy used on the eyes’ surface to combat alterations in it. Soak with cotton in the cold milk and rub the milk around your eyes; this will help relieve discomfort.
It has soothing and moisturizing effects and is widely used for red and irritated eyes. You must cut at least a piece of the plant and extract the aloe vera, which is the transparent part of the interior. Then, use a cotton ball and apply it to your eyes to improve the symptoms.
Tips to avoid having red and irritated eyes
- If you haven’t had enough sleep or have had a whole sleepless night, take a nap during the day.
- Don’t spend too much time in front of a computer screen.
- Avoid being exposed to irritants.
- Please wash your hands and make sure they are clean before touching your eyes.
- Keep your contact lenses clean.
- If symptoms don’t improve, see an ophthalmologist.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for red and irritated eyes , we recommend that you enter our Eyes and vision category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.