The skin speaks for us; it is a witness to all the reactions and problems that your body suffers inside. Hives on the legs can have many different causes, from allergies or varicose veins to infections or more complicated diseases such as diabetes.
If you suffer from a rash on your legs and want to get rid of it, you will be interested in this article by FastlyHealabout hives on the legs: why they come out and how to get rid of them.
Table of Contents
Why do hives appear on the legs?
Hives on the legs can be pretty annoying; sometimes, the rash is accompanied by itchy skin or burning. There are different causes of packs in the portions that we can find:
It is an allergic skin reaction, which can occur in other areas of the body as well, but, in some people, it can settle mainly on the legs, especially behind the knees.
Hives usually appear at certain times of the year, they can itch, and if you scratch too much, they can ooze clear fluid and then crust over.
The reason for this disease in which round red spots form on the skin is unknown, which can be located on the legs and the hands.
A small break in the skin may be a gateway for bacteria, which can cause an infection. Usually, it is located near that wound, but in people with low defenses, especially those with diabetes, this infection can spread to the rest of the leg, causing what is known as infectious cellulitis .
This term also refers to an infection located in the hair follicles or, what is the same, where the hairs on the legs grow. When inflamed and infected, these follicles can appear as a rash or red spots on the skin. It is common after shaving the legs, especially when this procedure is done with few hygiene conditions or when the razor is already a bit old or dull.
Do not be scared by the term; it is a more common infection than you think and not necessarily related to poor hygiene conditions. A tiny mite causes this very itchy infection and can be located in different areas of the body: legs, genitals, and wrists, among others. In the following article, you can see all the information about scabies’ symptoms, causes, and treatment.
In this case, the skin is reddened, flaky, and itchy. Psoriasis is an inflammatory disease that can have different presentations and is localized in other areas of the skin and nails and even accompanied by joint problems.
Dermatitis for ecstasy
In those who suffer from varicose veins, hives may appear on the legs related to this problem. Venous stasis is the stagnation of blood that occurs in varicose veins. You may feel heavy and itchy; it doesn’t usually hurt. The skin, first, turns red; later, it can peel, and if the evolution continues, brownish spots can appear. In these areas, the skin becomes so thin that it can be injured and lead to ulcers that can become superinfected, further complicating the situation.
It is the next step to venous stasis. The skin thickens, can be uncomfortable to the touch, and even hurt. It is a complication of blood stagnation in the legs.
A common and sometimes underestimated cause of welts on the legs is the bites of various insects: mosquitoes, fleas, spiders, etc. The lesions are usually itchy, red, and quite annoying. Pay attention to the environment you have been in lately, and maybe there you will find the answer.
The sudden appearance of round, red itchy bumps on the skin are called hives. These lesions usually go away on their own. Often, they are presented before different factors such as allergy to some food or environmental substance, heat, pressure on the skin, vibration, drug treatments, or even infections.
You may inadvertently damage your skin by scratching, but not because you are itchy. This is known by the medical term artifact dermatitis, which generates lesions that can become superinfected.
Medical treatment of hives on the legs
Like any treatment, it will be effective if the cause of the hives on the legs is first diagnosed. The ideal is to go to your family doctor, who will ask you a series of questions regarding the beginning and evolution of your symptoms, if it is accompanied by other problems or other diseases, etc.
You should know that sometimes treatment is tried for the most frequent causes, so if you have already made a consultation and the discomfort persists, it is best to return to the talk and, together with your doctor, look for the possible cause. Sometimes, for this, other studies are required, such as blood tests or ultrasounds, among others.
Depending on what is causing your problem, treatment may include :
- Corticosteroid, antibiotic or moisturizing creams.
- Oral antibiotics for severe infection.
- Specific local treatment in the case of scabies, the most common is permethrin and a series of measures to take into account.
- Treatment of varicose veins: postural, dietary measures, medication, bandages or compression stockings, sclerosis, and even surgery, depending on the case.
- Oral anti-inflammatory medication.
- Local or systemic medication for psoriasis: anti-inflammatory, immunosuppressive, or light therapy according to the evolution and severity of the disease.
- Antiallergics or special creams for atopic dermatitis.
Home remedies for hives on legs
Here it is also essential to know what is being treated because, as we have seen, the causes of a rash on the legs vary. Therefore, once again, it is convenient for a professional to diagnose you, especially if you have diabetes or another disease that can be seriously complicated. It is also recommended that you go to a health center if you have a fever or general malaise, the lesions get worse instead of better, or if the itching or discomfort does not let you sleep.
Specific natural remedies can benefit many of the causes of hives on the legs, especially in mild inflammations and infections:
- The infusions of chamomile, calendula, or honey. All three have anti-inflammatory and healing properties. Honey, for its part, is also antimicrobial.
- If you suffer from itchiness, taking cold baths on your legs may help, which will also help with venous stasis. It is also advisable to perform movements to facilitate the venous return and put the legs up for the latter.
- Drink water . Hydration is essential to promote cleansing of the body. Avoid sodas, alcohol, and drinks with sweeteners and colors, as they do not hydrate in the same way and perpetuate inflammation.
- Different skin problems result from inadequate dietary habits; the skin speaks for the body. Therefore, it is good that whatever the cause, you improve your diet, which will make your body recover faster. Leave out the processed ones, the sugar, and the vegetable oils. Eat more fruits and vegetables, honey, nuts, seeds, and fermented instead. A promising sign of what your body is doing will come from your intestines: constipation often precedes many health problems.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Hives on the legs: why they come out and how to remove them , we recommend entering our skin, hair, and nails category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.