Histamine is a compound synthesized by the body and present in our cells, where it functions as a neurotransmitter and hormone. In addition, it regulates the secretion of acid by the stomach and the motility of our intestine. It is produced from the amino acid histidine, which is why it has a high presence in nature and is found in many foods.
The problem with histamine arises because it is a fundamental mediator in allergic reactions and can cause our immune system to “trigger” if we are deficient in the enzyme that contributes to its metabolism (DAO or Diamine oxidase). This trigger can lead to the production of migraines (of histaminergic origin), muscle aches, atopic dermatitis, and intolerance to some foods rich in this. It is precisely this last point that we will deal with in this article by FastlyHeal.
If you suffer from some DAO deficiency or are prone to allergies, you must know the complete list of foods with histamine. We have placed it in groups according to its high or medium accumulation of histamine. Your duty would be to avoid its intake as much as possible.
Histamine foods of animal origin
Meats and egg
- With high accumulation of histamine: canned, cured, dried, marinated, smoked, or preserved meats (preparations), dry-cured ham, bacon. Finely minced / pureed meat (meatloaf, spreads). Almost all sausages (e.g., salami). Organ meats (especially liver). Sausages type chorizo, sausage, mortadella, ham, fuet. Raw egg white.
- With medium accumulation: cooked ham, turkey breast, Iberian ham. Cooked egg white. Packaged minced meat and pre-cooked meats. Venison and other game meats.
Fish and other seafood
- With high accumulation of histamine: fish and shellfish (mussels, lobsters, crabs, shrimp, prawns), canned, marinated, salted, dried, smoked, or pickled.
- With medium accumulation: certain species of fish (in particular the Scombroidae family ), such as tuna, mackerel, herring, sardines, anchovies, mahi-mahi. Fresh, frozen, or canned bluefish (salmon, emperor) and cephalopods (octopus, squid, and cuttlefish).
- With high accumulation of histamine: aged cheese such as hard cheese, semi-hard cheese, soft cheese, processed cheese (also known as melted cheese), blue cheese, mold cheese, fondue, aged Gouda, cream, heavy cream, and dairy-based sauces.
- With medium build-up: butter and plain yogurt, raw milk, yogurt, kefir, dairy products such as acidified buttermilk, sour cream, fresh cream, and feta cheese.
Plant-based histamine foods
Vegetables and greens
- With high accumulation of histamine: fermented cabbage (sauerkraut), olives. Legumes (lentils, beans, soybeans, and soy products like tofu or tempeh). Pickled vegetables.
- With medium accumulation: aubergine, zucchini, tomato, cucumber, spinach, chard, peppers, pumpkin. Green beans, peas, unfermented olives. Mushrooms.
Fruits, seeds, grains, and derivatives
- With high accumulation of histamine: all citrus fruits such as orange, lemon, tangerine, grapefruit, kiwi, and pineapple. Also strawberries, bananas, pear, guava. Wheat and derivatives (bread, pasta, cereals, pizzas, pastries, pastries, flours, flakes).
- With medium accumulation: papaya (milky), raspberry, avocado, banana, and plums.
Histamine foods of industrial origin
Spices, dressings, and condiments
- With high accumulation of histamine: soy sauce, tomato sauce, any product with monosodium glutamate, balsamic vinegar, industrial mustard. Yeast extract.
- Medium build-up: apple cider vinegar, anise, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla.
- With high accumulation of histamine: brown and dark chocolate, cocoa. Carob.
- With medium accumulation: citrus jam. White chocolate.
- With high accumulation of histamine: alcoholic beverages (wine, beer, cider, cava, and spirits). Juices and industrial sodas. Energy drinks with theobromine.
- With medium accumulation: red and black tea, coffee, energy drinks without theobromine, orange, and tomato juices.
- With high accumulation of histamine: nuts (walnuts, almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts). Industrial pastries. Packaged ready meals. The broth is in sachets and cubes (concentrates). Artificial potato puree, ice cream, flan, Catalan cream.
- With medium build-up: butter, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, pine nuts.
Any food not explicitly mentioned in the previous groups contains a low accumulation of histamine, or this is undetectable in them, so they do not constitute a risk and can be ingested with confidence.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
Suppose you want to read more articles similar to Foods with histamine – Complete list! We recommend that you enter our Food category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.