At some time in their life, many people have suffered from heartburn in the throat and do not know the causes that cause it. It is a burning that goes from the stomach to the throat, an unpleasant sensation that occurs intermittently as if a flame were lit inside the abdomen and rose until it reaches the throat.
When it occurs frequently, the heartburn in the throat is due to the suffering of gastroesophageal reflux, and this alteration can appear after eating and occurs once the food is inside the stomach. The acids present in the gut are responsible for breaking down the food eaten during meals. These acids are usually found in the stomach, which has a valve that prevents these acids from rising to the esophagus. Occasionally, this valve is affected by allowing gastric acids to pass up into the esophagus due to various factors. It is there where this sensation of acidity in the throat is present.
In this FastlyHealarticle, we explain in detail the causes and treatment of heartburn in the throat and effective home remedies to relieve it.
Table of Contents
Heartburn is the throat: cause.
Several causes give rise to the appearance of acidity in the throat, among which it is necessary to mention:
- Gastroesophageal reflux.
- High consumption of citrus fruits such as lemon, grapefruit, and orange.
- Bad eating habits.
- Inadequate intake of alcoholic beverages
- Tobacco use.
- Intake of some medications such as pain relievers or aspirin.
Symptoms of heartburn in the throat
The onset of this alteration is evidenced by symptoms such as the following:
- It was burning in the throat and chest.
- Throat irritation
- Pain in the middle of the back.
- Acid or bitter taste in the mouth.
- A burning sensation that increases when lying down.
Treatment of heartburn in the throat
When acidity in the throat appears frequently, it is necessary to go to a specialist doctor, in this case, the gastroenterologist, who is in charge of treating diseases of the digestive tract as well as its complications. For this reason, it is essential to go to the medical consultation and carry out the necessary studies to have an accurate diagnosis.
If the medical diagnosis confirms that we are facing a case of gastroesophageal reflux, the treatment may consist of:
- Liquid antacids: are responsible for neutralizing the excess acid present in the stomach, thus facilitating digestion and an upset stomach. They should be consumed as indicated by the doctor according to the dose and treatment time.
- Acid blockers: called histamine H2 blockers or acid blockers, they work by decreasing the production of stomach acid and relieving heartburn.
In addition to these medications for heartburn, in those cases in which it is necessary, anti-inflammatory analgesics and gastric protectors are also prescribed according to the patient’s symptoms.
Measures to prevent heartburn in the throat
Many measures can be taken to reduce the risk of suffering from heartburn in the throat, such as:
- Reduce or avoid consuming drinks or foods that increase gastric secretion, such as coffee or citrus fruits. In the following article, you can see which foods produce heartburn.
- Do not eat fried or high-fat foods.
- Avoid eating tomato-based foods.
- Do not consume carbonated drinks or vinegar.
- Avoid being overweight: being overweight can increase your risk of heartburn.
- Reduce alcohol consumption: alcohol is an irritant of the gastric mucosa and can cause heartburn.
- Control stress: this can be achieved through meditation, relaxation, or the practice of some sport.
- To avoid the use of tobacco.
- During sleep, you should keep your head elevated: this requires the use of two pillows to sleep. This prevents gastric acids from entering the esophagus.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing or belts: this helps alleviate heartburn symptoms such as abdominal pain or burning.
- Food intake should be in small quantities: in this way, the stomach is allowed to digest food easily.
- Avoid taking a nap immediately after eating: avoid eating 2 or 3 hours before falling asleep.
Home remedies for heartburn in the throat
Some home remedies can be of great help to cure heartburn in the throat naturally, although they should never be used as a substitute for medical treatments:
It has excellent antioxidant properties and an anti-inflammatory effect; it helps reduce inflammation of the esophagus, which causes relief from the sensation of heartburn.
For the preparation of this tea, you need:
- Two pieces of ginger root.
- 2 cups of water.
Both ingredients are placed in a pot to boil, then left to rest for a few minutes, then the glass is ingested 20 minutes before each meal.
This product, once mixed with water, has an alkaline effect. At the level of the digestive tract, the acidity of the stomach decreases, while in the esophagus, the discomfort caused by heartburn decreases. To prepare it, you need to mix:
- One teaspoon of baking soda.
- 100 ml of water.
Afterward, you must take small sips to show the results.
This tea has anti-inflammatory and digestive properties. It helps to improve digestion and reduce inflammation of the stomach. This can be used in cases of reflux to relieve heartburn.
For its preparation, you need:
- One tablespoon fennel
- 1 cup of boiling water
The fennel is added to the boiling water and left to rest for approximately 10 minutes; it should be strained and taken 2 or 3 times a day or 20 minutes before the main meals.
It is an option used for people who do not drink tea; this juice helps in cases of heartburn and burning because it improves digestion. It helps dilute stomach acid, other fruits such as cantaloupe, red apple, and ripe banana help relieve heartburn symptoms.
Two pears should be blended with water. If you wish, you can add lemon to prevent it from darkening.
This tea is used as a digestive, so it relieves heartburn.
If you want to prepare it, you need:
- 1 cup of boiling water
- One tablespoon of congorosa
The water is boiled, and the congorosa is added, left to rest for a few minutes, then ingested 2 to 3 times a day.
If you have heartburn in the throat, the first thing you should do is go to the doctor; he will be in charge of indicating the appropriate treatment for the symptoms you present, thus avoiding complications and side effects.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Heartburn in the throat: causes, treatment, and home remedies, we recommend entering our Ear, nose, and throat category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.