Feeling your heart in your throat, chest, or just feeling your heartbeat strongly is known as “palpitations.” It is one of the most common visits to the doctor, and, although most of the time, these are benign problems that are not more serious for the patient, they do generate some anxiety and discomfort since they think they are suffering from a severe illness. a
There are many reasons why a person can feel the heat in the throat, and in this FastlyHealarticle, we explain which are the most frequent and essential.
Causes of feeling the heart in the throat
Here are the most common causes of heartbeat in the throat:
Anxiety or depression
A person with a panic attack or is anxious often feels like his heart is in his throat, which can be associated with shortness of breath, shaking hands, sweating, nausea, and even chest pain. Someone with a depressive disorder may also feel vibrations. This person may also feel a loss of appetite, lack of hope, and sadness.
Although it is widespread that vibrations are felt in these diseases, in any case, other possible causes must be ruled out, especially cardiac ones, because it has been seen that on several occasions, both psychiatric and organic problems may be present.
Inadequate physical condition
You feel your heartbeat in your throat immediately after doing unusual physical exertion, maybe because you are not in an inadequate physical condition.
If this happens to you very often, you may need to consult your GP to ensure it is not a significant condition.
You might feel your heart in your throat if you are during a significant hormonal change, such as pregnancy or after menopause. However, you should always consult your doctor if you have palpitations to rule out other problems.
Substances, medicines, and drugs
The consumption of some drinks, drugs, and certain illicit drugs can generate the sensation of feeling the heat in the throat. Among them, we can find:
- Cola drinks.
- Drugs to “lose weight.”
- Recent discontinuation of beta-blockers.
- Ephedrine and pseudoephedrine (present in nasal decongestants).
It is advisable to suspend them if it is not a medication indicated by a doctor, in which case the professional should be consulted first.
General illnesses that can cause palpitations in the throat
There are specific health problems that, among other symptoms, can give rise to the sensation of having the heart in the throat. These are:
- Fever: a body temperature greater than 38 ° can give these symptoms. In addition, there is usually body and head pain and chills.
- Anemia: This type of alteration in the blood can manifest itself with palpitations, fatigue, weakness, headaches, and paleness, among others.
- Hyperthyroidism: increased thyroid function can cause: nervousness, irritability, weight loss, increased appetite, difficulty concentrating, and, among many other symptoms, palpitations.
- Hypoglycemia: Low blood glucose can make the heart feel in the throat, accompanied by shaking, headache, hunger, blurred vision, dizziness, lightheadedness, or confusion.
- Orthostatic hypotension: when you stand up, you suddenly feel dizzy, light-headed, confused, nauseous, have blurred vision, and even vibrations.
- Vasovagal syndrome can occur in different diseases (cardiac, pulmonary, cerebrovascular) or due to a personal predisposition. In front of diverse stimuli (like suffering an impression, pain, stress), the person feels palpitations, blurred vision, confusion, and fainting.
What to do if you feel your heart in your throat
If you have the sensation that your heart is beating in your throat, in your chest, or if you feel an alteration in your heartbeat, it is convenient that you take some measures to avoid and relieve palpitations:
- You must turn to your trusted doctor so that he can perform a complete interrogation, physical examination, and the studies that he deems appropriate (such as electrocardiogram and laboratory analysis).
- Stay calm, and the cause is most likely not serious.
- Stop consuming those substances that may generate the situation (listed in the previous section), such as coffee, alcohol, and cola drinks. Also, avoid cigarettes.
- Until you make the medical consultation, try not to make extraordinary physical efforts.
- You must relax and learn to manage stress and anxiety. The practice of relaxation and breathing exercises can be of great help.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Why do I feel my heart in my throat? We recommend that you enter our category of Blood, compassion, and circulation .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.