The onion is a plant whose origin is not very clear; it is believed that it was cultivated by the ancient Egyptians; what is clear is that its active principles are what provides it with its excellent qualities. The onion is a vegetable that is part of the world’s gastronomy and can be consumed in different ways; it also consists of many varieties and contains essential oils, flavonoids, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals that will benefit our health. If you want to know more about this vegetable, which sometimes makes you cry, don’t miss this article by FastlyHealwhere we will show you the health benefits of onion.
Table of Contents
For respiratory problems
Onion is considered an excellent natural remedy to treat respiratory problems, as it has an expectorant function. The conditions for which onion is most effective are bronchitis, asthma, cough, pharyngitis, and flu; The active ingredients contained in onion have mucolytic, anti-inflammatory, and antitussive properties.
To benefit from these properties, consume it raw, add onion to your dishes, or prepare it in salads. Additionally, you can make an onion and honey syrup with one finely chopped onion and honey. Place these two ingredients in a glass container and let it rest overnight. The next day takes a tablespoon of the remaining syrup; the idea is that you also consume the onion pieces; if it is too strong for you, mix it with an infusion of ginger or licorice.
Another benefit of onion for health is that it promotes digestion because it causes a stimulus on the liver, pancreas, and gallbladder; it is also responsible for balancing fermentation in the intestines, preventing parasites, and facilitating evacuations. It is preferable to consume it cooked, and it is not recommended if you suffer from heartburn.
For the cardiovascular system
One of the components of onion is allicin. This compound has excellent effects on cardiovascular health since it prevents the formation of clots, reduces hypertension, and thins the blood, thus improving circulation. It is an excellent food for those who suffer from gout or kidney stones. The potassium it contains favors the expulsion of toxins through the urine, making it a natural diuretic.
The onion also prevents fluid retention thanks to its low sodium content and the presence of essential oils, flavonoids, and antioxidants that are responsible for eliminating waste products of metabolism and body fluids. To obtain all these benefits, we recommend this onion soup recipe.
As a natural antibiotic
The onion has many compounds rich in sulfur, which provide its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, especially in conditions related to the digestive system such as diarrhea, gastroenteritis, gluten intolerance, or Crohn’s disease. To benefit from these properties, you only have to put ½ onion and ½ cup of water to cook, add one teaspoon of honey and stir until the mixture is homogeneous. Drink up to three cups a day.
External use of onion
The health benefits of onion not only encompass our interior, and there are also external uses that we can benefit from:
- Insect bites: onion’s anti-inflammatory and bactericidal properties will reduce swelling and soothe itching. You have to crush a piece of onion, dip a gauze in the resulting liquid, and place it on the bite.
- Acne: acne develops from a clogged pore which causes bacteria to grow and causes redness. Onion is an excellent disinfectant for these cases; you have to repeat the previous step to benefit from this property.
- Hair loss: the sulfur content in onion prevents hair loss since it stimulates the growth of the hair follicle and eliminates dandruff. To prepare a lotion against hair loss, you must mix one crushed onion with one tablespoon of honey and a few drops of lavender or rosemary essential oil. Apply this on the scalp and massage for a few minutes, leave it for 30 minutes and wash your hair.
Contraindications of onion
- It can generate allergic reactions by contact if you have any hypersensitivity.
- If you have gastritis or suffer from heartburn, it could aggravate onion consumption.
- If your stomach is delicate, you should avoid this vegetable.
- If you have any internal bleeding.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Benefits of onion for health, we recommend that you enter our Food category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.