The organism of people is very complex, and you have to pay close attention to various factors that may be a sign that something is not working correctly. Women with periods and their hormonal changes throughout the cycle can arouse specific fears when menstruation does not arrive as usual, either due to the amount of time, quantity, or the bleeding color.
It is common for many women who have a regular menstrual cycle to be concerned if their period does not come down on the expected dates. Still, if this delay occurs after having vaginal sex, it is usually a cause for concern. This is why some of them ask themselves, is it normal for the period to be delayed after having sex? To know this answer, we invite you to read the following FastlyHealarticle, which includes more related information.
Does having sex delay your period?
The sexual act does not affect the menstrual cycle as long as the ovum is not fertilized. During this activity, hormones are not secreted, or actions that directly affect the processes in the uterus and ovaries that disrupt the period, causing it to be delayed or advanced, are activated. So it is not normal for menstruation to be delayed due to having sex. Still, some causes of this alteration could be indirectly related to the sexual encounter. We will explain them to you below:
- The first cause of delay in the rule would be the development of a possible pregnancy, even if a contraceptive method was used because none is 100% effective. Its safety decreases due to inappropriate use. To check for this cause, a pregnancy test can be performed at any time after menstrual delay, and an accurate result is obtained in most cases. If the test is negative, you should consider other possible reasons and detect if other symptoms need the gynecologist’s review.
- Also, one of the most common factors that cause your period to be late is going through situations of great stress, tension, or nervousness. In many cases, the imbalance in the menstrual cycle is not usually related to the severe pathology of pregnancy. When it occurs after having intercourse, especially if it is the first time or practiced without protection, the woman may have a tremendous emotional burden that causes hormonal imbalance and muscle tension. This blocks the process to start menstruating, so after a few days or when you relax, the period usually occurs.
- It is consuming contraceptive pills, or morning-after medication is a usual cause of delayed menstruation after intercourse since they are composed of a combination of hormones that stimulate the increase of other hormones to prevent the release or fertilization of the ovum, which in turn causes the alteration of the menstrual cycle and that the period goes down after the expected date. It usually happens, especially when starting or stopping taking them. In some cases, the period is irregular or disappears for up to six months after stopping them until the cycle is adjusted again. The same can happen with the injection of contraceptives or the implantation of certain types of intrauterine devices.
On the other hand, when menstruation is absent for more than three months, the woman is considered to have amenorrhea. She must go to a medical consultation to determine what it is due to since pregnancy, lactation, and menopause are the only natural causes of this alteration.
Causes of a late period
Taking into account that it is not normal for the period to be delayed after having intercourse, and if the situations mentioned above have been ruled out, the imbalance may be due to some condition that is manifested or intensified by the action of the sexual act or that it just coincides with this event without having to be related.
The delay or absence of the rule can be due to various causes, some very mild and others more serious, that require a specialist’s assessment. The leading causes of this alteration are:
- Make lifestyle changes, such as losing a significant amount of body weight in a short time or exercising excessively.
- Suffering from eating disorders, the most frequent being anorexia and bulimia.
- Have hormonal imbalance, which can be caused by polycystic ovary syndrome or thyroid gland disease.
- We have an ovarian failure.
- We take certain medications, especially those used for chemotherapy, hypertension, depression, allergies, and treating severe mental illnesses such as schizophrenia.
- We have uterine scars, which mainly form after surgery on the uterus, such as curettage, cesarean section, or in the treatment of uterine fibroids.
- Present a benign tumor in the pituitary.
When to go to the doctor for a menstrual delay
Although it is more common for a period to be late for a few days and not due to a condition associated with a severe alteration, it is essential to pay attention to other abnormal symptoms that may appear at that time. Women with delayed periods should see a doctor immediately if they also have:
- High fever.
- Dizziness and vertigo
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pain in the genital area, abdomen, or lower back.
- Abnormal or deviant smelling vaginal discharge.
- Changes in the color of the urine.
- Delayed menstruation for several weeks, regardless of whether you have had sex lately or a long time ago.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Is it normal for my period to be delayed after having sex?, we recommend that you enter our category of Female reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.