Osteoarthritis is one of the most frequent rheumatic diseases, it generally occurs after the age of 50 and its incidence is higher in the female population. Osteoarthritis is generated by wear and tear on the cartilage, which is covered with synovial fluid that is responsible for nourishing and hydrating it; When you suffer from osteoarthritis, this property is lost and it is what causes joint pain and stiffness. On the other hand, diet is a fundamental factor to treat it, since it will help you reduce the symptoms that this condition presents. At FastlyHealwe show you a diet for osteoarthritis , in addition to the foods you should avoid.
Causes of osteoarthritis
There are two types of osteoarthritis and this classification is related to the cause:
- Primary osteoarthritis : appears without an apparent cause, it is also called idiopathic osteoarthritis and occurs in the hands, feet, knees, hips or spine. This condition can affect three or more joints at the same time.
- Secondary osteoarthritis : the cause of this ailment is related to trauma due to physical activity, endocrine diseases such as diabetes , neurological disorders, congenital or rheumatic diseases such as gout or rheumatoid arthritis .
Additionally, there are risk factors that will make you more susceptible to this disease:
- Being 50 years old.
- To be a woman.
- Repetitive blows on a joint or sequelae from surgery.
- Family background.
- Sports activities and some professions.
Foods to avoid if you have osteoarthritis
Food is a very important element to guarantee the improvement of the symptoms that appear. Additionally, it is necessary to avoid obesity , since this condition would worsen the pain of this condition.
Here are some foods to avoid if you have osteoarthritis :
- Refined sugars : it is proven that these increase inflammation of the joints, and it will also generate fatigue due to its poor energy supply. So you should avoid milk chocolates, industrial pastries, soft drinks, processed juices, canned or frozen fruits and vegetables, cookies, cakes, margarine and fried foods.
- Foods rich in purines : purines are substances that our body breaks down, but their excess in the body produces high levels of uric acid and leads to rheumatic ailments. Avoid red meat, cold cuts, shellfish, oily fish, cauliflower, mushrooms, spinach, and organ meats.
Recommended foods for osteoarthritis
The consumption of these foods will significantly relieve your symptoms, and they will also help you lose weight if you are obese. We present a list of recommended foods for osteoarthritis :
- Foods rich in selenium and fiber : free radicals damage cells and selenium acts as an antioxidant, which cleans the body of these, also regulates the thyroid gland and provides energy. This mineral can be found in whole grains, macadamia nuts, tuna, turkey, yogurts and milk.
- Foods rich in vitamin C : this is responsible for protecting collagen , which is the main component of cartilage, for this reason its intake is important. Eat vegetables such as asparagus, carrot, zucchini, lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper, oranges, raspberry, apple, strawberry, and cherry.
- Omega 3 and 6 : you must consume at least 1 gram a day, to eliminate the substances that cause inflammation of the joints. Salmon, sardines and tuna, nuts and olive oil are sources of omega 3 and 6.
Weekly diet for osteoarthritis
Here is a weekly diet for osteoarthritis :
- Breakfast : whole grain cereal + skim milk
- Lunch : rice + grilled tuna + carrot and zucchini stir fry + 5 strawberries
- Dinner : pumpkin cream + turkey breast + cucumber salad + skimmed yogurt of the fruit you want.
- Breakfast : turkey ham sandwich + orange juice
- Lunch : chicken breast + sautéed chard + sugar-free gelatin
- Dinner : zucchini cream + soy burgers + 1 tangerine
- Breakfast : toast with olive oil and turkey + blueberries + infusion
- Lunch : artichoke salad + grilled anchovies + 1 apple
- Dinner : omelette + 2 tangerines
- Breakfast : whole wheat toast + hummus + 1 orange
- Lunch : baked salmon + roasted potatoes + green salad with nuts + 1 skimmed yogurt
- Dinner : noodle soup + grilled anchovies + 1 pomegranate
- Breakfast : skimmed yogurt + red fruits + maría cookies
- Lunch : brown rice with vegetables + beef + baked apples
- Dinner : hake + steamed chard + cherries
- Breakfast : oatmeal smoothie with vanilla
- Lunch : aubergine stuffed with tuna + asparagus + 1 apple
- Dinner : chicken breast fajitas + lettuce + raspberries
- Breakfast : wholemeal bread + jam + infusion
- Lunch : grilled sardines + artichokes + baked potatoes + light cheesecake
- Dinner : vegetable broth + grilled beef + sautéed vegetables + skimmed yogurt.
Osteoarthritis is a condition that has no cure , so in addition to diet, exercise is another important point when treating osteoarthritis , as well as staying hydrated. Do moderate-intensity physical activity such as Pilates, yoga, swimming, or aerobics, and drink 2 liters of water a day .
If you want more information on how to treat osteoarthritis with natural remedies, we recommend the article home remedies for osteoarthritis .
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Osteoarthritis Diet , we recommend that you enter our Bones, Joints and Muscles category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.