Maca or Andean maca , is a medicinal plant native to the central highlands of Peru, specifically the Andes Mountains. In addition to its edible use, in ancient times the Andean people harvested this plant to optimize their physical and mental faculties, however, it is its property of increasing fertility in animals that made it so famous during the time of the Spanish colony.
Many people call maca “the miracle of women” , and it is that over the years it has been proven that the consumption of this can help to regulate hormonal problems, infertility and, even, loss of blood. sexual appetite. In this FastlyHealarticle you can learn about the benefits of maca , its composition and how to consume it.
What is maca?
It is a herbaceous plant that only occurs at altitudes above 4,400 meters , for this reason it can be found mainly in the Andes Mountains, however its cultivation and consumption is so common in Peru that today there is maca and maca flour in capsules, both presentations used for the same purpose: food supplement.
There is a lot of interest in the benefits of maca , but few people really know what this plant contributes to the body. To properly understand the properties of maca, it is important to mention its composition: proteins, essential amino acids, potassium, iron, calcium, phosphorus, B vitamins, fiber, carbohydrates, sodium and zinc. This natural and concentrated combination of vitamins and minerals is what makes maca a natural miracle in Peru.
Health benefits of maca
Among the benefits of maca, its medicinal properties stand out, which allow the body to optimize some of its functions. Its properties include:
- Due to its content of terpenoids and saponins, maca is widely used as a natural sedative , since these compounds help the individual to find relief in the manifestation of pain. Likewise, these substances also have an expectorant effect, which is why it is considered that one of the health benefits of maca is its ability to help expel phlegm.
- Maca intervenes in the optimal functioning of the adrenal glands, which allows the person to benefit from this plant by controlling stress , since with the consumption of maca there is a balance in the production of cortisol, a hormone that increases during episodes of anxiety or stress
- Also, as it helps to calm the body, the consumption of maca allows the person to be more mentally relaxed and helps to fall asleep deeply.
- One of the most important benefits of maca is its ability to regulate the endocrine system , which is responsible for the production of hormones that are involved in such important and everyday processes as digestion. Insulin, for example, is one of the hormones produced by the endocrine system through the pancreas and helps balance blood glucose levels.
- Also due to its property of regulating hormonal production, maca can help improve mood , even in people who suffer from depression and lack a balanced production of serotonin.
Benefits of maca for women
Maca is known as a miracle plant for women , why? It has always been said that its benefit of increasing fertility has made many women turn to the consumption of maca as an alternative to get pregnant. However, this would be just one of many properties that it offers to the female gender. What are the benefits of maca for women ? These:
- Although the power of maca to increase fertility was discovered when the Spanish arrived in Peru and found that cattle were able to reproduce with the consumption of this plant, years later the same effect was found in humans. The reason is that as the consumption of maca stimulates the regulation of the body’s hormones, it allows the female organism to be in its optimal condition to conceive.
- Both for its positive impact on the endocrine system and for its sedative capacity, the consumption of maca allows to regulate the menstrual cycle as well as to alleviate premenstrual symptoms, reducing the sensation of belly pain and stabilizing the mood.
- During menopause it is common for women to experience loss of sexual desire , but it is worth mentioning that the consumption of maca allows to awaken desire through increased libido.
- Maca is a natural antioxidant and antioxidants are the only ones capable of reducing the effect that free radicals cause in the body. An antioxidant, therefore, allows you to boast a more beautiful complexion by fighting premature cellular aging, which delays the appearance of furrows and wrinkles.
- Due to its relaxing capacity, maca offers a great benefit to women, and that is that it reduces bone pain products of osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis .
If you are interested in consuming maca, it is best that before doing so you visit a nutritionist who, based on your needs, indicates if it is truly necessary for your body to obtain these benefits. Similarly, it is important to note that due to its high carbohydrate content, the consumption of maca is not recommended for hypertensive, diabetic people, with metabolic syndrome or cholesterol disorders.
How to take maca?
As we mentioned before, the consumption of maca is so common in Peru that there are different alternatives to take it, but the most common are: the fruit of maca, flour or capsules. The recommended dose per day is up to three tablespoons of maca powder , which you can mix in juices, salads, meals or with water.
You can also get the benefits of maca by eating the fruit of the plant, which is customary in Peru to eat boiled, in sauce, roasted and even as a puree, the important thing is that it is always cooked.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Benefits of maca , we recommend that you enter our Food category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.