If you have started your sexual life, it is very likely that you are interested in knowing how to avoid a teenage pregnancy and thus be able to guarantee intimate encounters without serious consequences that will affect your life forever. The first thing you should be very clear about is that sex is a great responsibility and we must be aware of its risks, so avoiding an early pregnancy is a task that depends on you and the maturity with which you are willing to face your sexual life .
But intimacy can not only lead to an unwanted pregnancy, but also to the spread of sexually transmitted diseases that can significantly affect your health. Are you full of doubts? Keep reading, because in this FastlyHealarticle we give you basic tips to avoid an early pregnancy and guarantee your well-being.
Table of Contents
Have sex only when you are ready and safe
The main reason that leads to unwanted pregnancy is the lack of information and often this occurs because girls start social activity without being prepared for it. The pressure of your partner to have sex or the pressure of your friends, who constantly tell you that you have to try it or that you are a girl for not trying, can make you make a hasty decision without considering the consequences.
It is important that:
- Have sex only when you are completely sure to do so, when you feel comfortable and believe that he is the person with whom you want to share that moment. If you are not sure remember: no one can or should force you . If he loves you, he will know how to wait for you.
- Do not get carried away by the pressure of your friends, everyone is the owner of their body and if you do not want to have sex it is still a personal decision and no one has the right to criticize you for it.
- If you are considering the idea, then be very clear about everything you need to know to do it correctly.
Know your fertile days or ovulation stage
To get pregnant you must have unprotected sex on your fertile days , that is, when you are ovulating. But if you do it a few days before ovulation you can also get pregnant, as sperm can live up to 72 hours inside your body, fertilizing the ovum even days after the sexual encounter. Did you know?
This is one of the many reasons why it is so important to know your body , know when you are ovulating and not take unnecessary risks that could lead to an early pregnancy. In our article , can I get pregnant on non-fertile days? We explain how to calculate your fertile days and discover what are the times of the month with the highest risk.
Attention if your period is irregular!
If you have irregular periods , meaning that they are often absent, periods that come many days apart or even several times in a month, then it is important to seek help. The problem in these cases is that many times it is not possible to calculate the fertile days and, if you do not use protection, there is a high risk of unwanted pregnancy.
To avoid this, visit a gynecologist , ask for advice and help to choose a hormonal contraceptive method suitable for you that allows you to prevent a possible pregnancy.
Use birth control whenever you have sex
The best way to prevent early pregnancy is by using contraceptives , but you have to know how to use them correctly. That is why it is important that you know that:
- If it’s your first time you can still get pregnant, so protect yourself.
- The condom is the only contraceptive method that can prevent sexually transmitted diseases , so it is very important to use it especially when it comes to casual or sporadic sex. Some diseases of this type can lead to problems in your intimate health, that is why it is very important to take maximum care of yourself.
- You must use a condom whenever you have sex, this is basic if you do not use other methods. In our article using a condom correctly we explain everything you and your partner need to know about it.
Hormonal contraceptive methods
You do not have to depend solely on your partner to protect you, in fact you can make the decision yourself and go to a gynecologist to find out which is the best hormonal method for you . The most common thing is to take birth control pills, which have a high protection factor as long as you take them properly, the best thing about this is that your safety will depend on you and that will make you feel very good.
It is important that the doctor helps you choose a suitable pill for you, so go to your consultation without fear and clarify all your doubts, do not forget that sex is also a responsibility. In our articles on oral contraceptives: frequently asked questions and female contraceptive methods , you can find the guidance information you need.
Detect methods that do NOT prevent pregnancy
Information is power and if you are not properly informed you can make a mistake that leads to an unwanted pregnancy, so it is important that you know that:
- Reversing, interrupted intercourse or, more colloquially, withdrawing the penis to ejaculate out, is NOT a contraceptive method . The seminal fluid that the penis secretes before ejaculating contains small amounts of sperm that can make you pregnant, and if your partner does not calculate well there is a risk that he will ejaculate inside. For more information, see our article , is interrupted intercourse safe?
- Other natural birth control methods, such as the rhythm method, observing the cervical mucus, or taking your vaginal temperature to determine if you are ovulating, are not adequately effective and can lead to an unwanted pregnancy. For their effectiveness to be optimal, they must be done carefully, constantly and properly, so they are not recommended in the case of adolescents or women who start their sexual life, it is best to opt for the traditional methods mentioned in the previous step.
- Partially inserting the penis will also not prevent you from getting pregnant . If the man ejaculates inside, there is a possibility of pregnancy, regardless of whether the penetration was complete or not.
- Always having unprotected sex and then taking the emergency pill is NOT an adequate way to protect yourself . This pill has large hormonal doses, it is not 100% effective and should not be taken in excess, as it has various side effects. The most responsible decision is to use a consistent and reliable method such as birth control pills and a condom. To learn more about this, read our article Morning-After Pill: Function and Side Effects .
Don’t take unnecessary risks: sex is a matter of two
If there are reliable contraceptive methods, if you have access to information and if you also consider yourself mature enough to have sex, why are you going to leave everything to chance? Do not take unnecessary risks, avoiding an early pregnancy is possible if you protect yourself properly, if you do not give in to pressure and start your sex life when you think it is necessary and if you act intelligently taking care of yourself and your health.
Also remember that sex is a matter of two , that is why your partner must also use a condom and be aware of the risk practices that can lead to an unwanted pregnancy. Remember that if he values and respects you, he will do everything possible so that you feel good, safe and comfortable in privacy, that is why it is important to talk about it and be aware of the great risks they take with unprotected sex.
Talk to your parents or a gynecologist
If you have any questions, it is best to consult someone who can help you and not go to friends or people who may know even less than you, confusing you. Make a consultation with a gynecologist , clarify your concerns with a professional and talk to your parents or someone older to seek the guidance you need.
Stay informed, by putting these recommendations into practice and you will be able to avoid an early or unwanted pregnancy in a simple way without your pleasure being affected.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Basic tips to avoid an early pregnancy , we recommend that you enter our Sexuality category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.