Chest pain can occur for various reasons; the most problematic are heart attacks (heart problems) or respiratory system diseases. However, anxiety is another reason why there may be chest pain. This is a diffuse, disturbing, and unpleasant disorder capable of generating symptoms as varied as palpitations or tightness in the chest. Sometimes it can be confused with some organic cause. However, some ways allow making the differential diagnosis; in this FastlyHealarticle, we will talk about chest pain due to anxiety: symptoms, and what to do to relieve it effectively.
Chest pain from anxiety
Anxiety is a psychological disorder that manifests itself as an unpleasant and disturbing mental state that can sometimes be considered a natural state of adaptation. The body remains alert to different external factors. But when this is no longer the case and its intensity increases, it becomes a disease that can affect anyone. Anxiety disorders are the most common mental health problem in Western countries; in the US alone, approximately 40 million adults in the US, that is, 18%, have an anxiety disorder. 
The cause of suffering from anxiety is not yet defined concretely, but it does depend on various factors, the factors that trigger anxiety are:
- People, children, or adults who have experienced traumatic situations in childhood or adulthood can trigger anxiety disorders.
- Suffering from a severe disease (cancer, HIV) is widely related to developing anxiety in the person who suffers from it out of fear or concern that it generates what the treatment and the future of their health implies.
- In the same way, intense stress situations are related, such as work stress, stress due to family situations, or situations related to deep sadness, such as the death of a family member.
- Likewise, anxiety disorders can be inherited.
- The personality of some people makes them more prone to anxiety.
- The consumption of narcotic substances such as drugs and alcohol can trigger suffering and anxiety at some stage of life, highlighting the moment of abstinence.
- Anxiety is also linked to other mental health disorders such as depression.
- The adverse effects of some medications can trigger anxiety at any time, and with this, all the symptoms that it implies.
Anxiety and its accompanying symptoms
Here we talk about the main symptoms of anxiety, among which is chest pain:
- Anxiety is broadly related to manifesting with chest pain due to muscle tension that occurs in the chest and rapid breathing that further intensifies muscle tension and, in turn, makes the chest pain much deeper.
- Apart from chest pain, anxiety is usually related to suffocation and respiratory difficulty; the patient defines it as an intense feeling of lack of air generating restlessness and irritability, taking control of fear.
- Difficulty breathing is also related to the symptoms that manifest with anxiety in conjunction with pain in the chest; sometimes, it is also defined as a lump in the throat or hysterical balloon. It is a harmless but unpleasant symptom and is closely related to the contraction of the throat muscles, just as it happens to the contraction of the chest muscles. This is the cause of the sensation of having something stuck in the throat.
- The higher the level of anxiety, the higher the level of sweating; this is also considered a symptom.
- It is also common to present tremors during an anxiety crisis.
In the same way, other symptoms are associated, such as:
- Dry mouth
How to relieve chest pain from anxiety
Once diagnosed by the specialist, the person must know that this is a problem that he can control himself; he must know and distinguish the main symptoms before the anxiety crisis and differentiate between chest pain or organic causes. Once this has been identified, and in turn, the trigger factor related to anxiety disorder, a person can control it:
- The breathing exercises can help relieve muscle spasms product of anxiety that can relax the body and avoid painful contractions of the muscles; controlling breathing is controlled pressure is recommended inhalations and exhalations count of three each until calm is achieved.
- Likewise, chest pain from anxiety can be alleviated with relaxation exercises such as yoga and meditation, learning good techniques for muscle relaxation. In a study published by the Journal of Medical Humanities about relaxation techniques in patients with anxiety, stomatological treatment was effective in about 74% of patients .
- Exercising is also helpful in reducing anxiety attacks and all the symptoms that this entails, including chest pain.
- It is also essential to eat a good diet and rest the necessary hours; this will improve all the triggers related to anxiety and its symptoms.
If you know that you suffer from anxiety or have suspicions, do not hesitate to go to a psychiatrist; sometimes, they require specialized treatment to avoid worse crises, avoid self-medication, define the symptoms and go for a medical evaluation immediately.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Chest pain due to anxiety: symptoms and what to do to relieve it, we recommend that you enter our category of Mental disorders .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.