If you have ever suffered from heartburn or heartburn, it is most likely that you have been recommended to take Almax. It is a medicine used to regulate acids in the stomach to eliminate heartburn or heartburn. All this is thanks to its active principle, Almagato. You can find Almax in water-soluble sachets, syrup, or tablets and different proportions, from 500 mg to 1.5 gr, which we know as Almax Forte.
Before taking it, it is best to consult with your doctor or follow the instructions on the leaflet and not take it frequently for more than two weeks. Also, like any other drug, it has side effects and contraindications. In this FastlyHeal article, we tell you how to take Almax forte 1.5 and its side effects.
Table of Contents
What is Almax medicine used for
As we have seen, the active principle of Almax, which is the commercial name, is Almagato. This substance acts in our body as an antacid, eliminating the symptoms of this pathology. It neutralizes hydrochloric acid, inhibits pepsin in our body, and absorbs and neutralizes bile acids.
Although it is very corrosive, hydrochloric acid acts in our body by breaking down food with other gastric juices and eliminating enzymes that help digestion. It also protects our body from diseases since it eliminates harmful substances we ingest with food. This acid is helped by pepsin, an enzyme that breaks down the vitamins we eat with food into smaller portions. Therefore it helps hydrochloric acid to break down food. In addition, there are bile acids that, together with other substances in the body, help absorb fats and fat-soluble vitamins (which dissolve in oil and fat).
As we can see, the acids in our body are essential for the digestive process. However, a high level of acidity can cause heartburn. Acidity means that the pH is at levels below 7 (neutral pH) and is what these substances need to work. Almax increases the Ph level, bringing it closer to a basic level (above 7) to neutralize that acidity.
How to take Almax
In various presentations, we can find Almax forte sachets to dissolve in water, syrup, or chewable tablets. The usual thing is a composition of 500 mg, which the sachets and pills usually include, but we can find 1gr as is the case with syrup, or 1.5 gr, which we know as Almax Forte.
The composition must be considered since it is not the same to take Almax 500 mg for several days as Almax Forte, which has a higher composition and will affect our body to a greater extent.
Before taking it, it is recommended that you go to your doctor to find out which is the correct administration. If you have already taken it more times, follow precisely the same indications or, failing that, look at the package insert.
Almax forte dosage is the same for children 12 years of age as adults or the elderly. Its use in children under 12 years of age is not recommended.
You should not take more than 8 grams daily, which means 16 tablets or sachets per day of 500 mg. It is advisable to take it half an hour after meals, and if you have discomfort again, you can take another pill or envelope before going to bed. A 500 mg sachet or pill after each meal would be helpful to calm the burning sensation, if you see that it is not enough, you can take more over time, but it is not good to take two doses in a row.
If you take Almax only when heartburn occurs, it is best to start trying with 500 mg, and if it does not work, go to Almax Forte and take it only as many times as you have heartburn. Unless it is constant, in this case, you should see your doctor see if you can follow a constant treatment with Almax. You must know that you should not take Almax for more than 14 days.
If you have forgotten a dose, wait for the next one or take it if it has not been long. You shouldn’t take two in a row to compensate.
Almax is taken by mouth. You can take the pills by chewing or dissolving them in your mouth. The sachets will dissolve in a small amount of water, about one-third of a glass. And for the syrup, always use the meter that comes as it is more difficult to control. If you don’t have it, use a level soup spoon as a measure. Not too complete. After the syrup, it is advisable to drink water to pass better and distribute more efficiently.
Almax forte side effects and contraindications
Like any medicine, Almax has side effects and contraindications that you have to consider. As we have seen, it is used as an antacid neutralizing the pH so that it is not so acidic, but precisely for this reason, it is not appropriate to take it for some time very often, and it does not work in the same way in all cases.
Almax is contraindicated in the following situations or people:
- If you have an allergy to almagato or any of the components that make up this medicine.
- In people who have Alzheimer’s.
- If you have any diseases or pathologies: digestive tract bleeding, hemorrhoids, fluid retention, or diarrhea.
- Suppose you have severe kidney failure. If you have a disease that affects the kidney, be it mild or severe, you should consult your doctor before taking Almax since it may not filter all the components and cause damage to your body.
- Suppose you are on a diet low in phosphorus. In that case, as is the case if you have diarrhea, you should not take Almax since the aluminum salts it contains make the phosphorus not absorbed in the same way and can cause discomfort or even a mineral deficiency in the bones.
- Almax is not contraindicated in older people. However, it is not recommended that these people take it continuously as it could affect their bones and lead to osteoporosis.
- Pregnant women can take Almax but always in minimal compositions. It is better to consult your doctor if you think you may be pregnant or if you are breastfeeding.
It is not common for Almax to present side effects, but if you notice something strange, some discomfort or vomiting, go to your doctor as soon as possible. Yes, it indeed depends on the person. Some can give diarrhea during the time they take it.
Almax and other medications
If you go to the doctor and he has to prescribe any medication, inform him that you are taking Almax either sporadically or under treatment, as it could interfere with other drugs causing them not to be absorbed in the same way. And although it does not influence the medicine you are taking, it is advisable to wait about 2 or 3 hours after taking the other medicine to ingest Almax. This will make sure that the medicine has taken effect. If you have to take one during meals, take advantage of taking it while eating food. Not only will it help its absorption, but after eating, you can wait the prudent time to take Almax, which is also necessary for its action.
Some of the medications that may interact with Almax and you should consult your doctor are:
- NSAIDs ( non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ) such as the Ibuprofen and dexketoprofen family (such as Enantyum). They are medicines used to treat pain and inflammation. Taking Almax may decrease the concentration of NSAIDs.
- Drugs to treat ulcers.
- Digitalis drugs are used to treat certain heart conditions. They are common when, for example, a person has been intoxicated by a drug-taking too much, among other things.
- Antipsychotic drugs that treat mental illness.
- Medicines to treat epilepsy
- Drugs that treat fungi
- If you are taking iron due to anemia, it is essential to know that Almax can cause it not to be absorbed effectively.
- Quinidine is a drug used to treat heart rhythm variations. Taking Almax at the same time can increase the toxicity of Quinidine.
However, when in doubt, it is best to ask your doctor if you can take Almax simultaneously as other medications.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Almax: how to take it and its side effects, we recommend that you enter our medication and medical tests category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.